The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sound Proofing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clou1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sound Proofing
    Posted: 11 Jan 09 at 18:46
Hi

I've got a 1986 Niesmann Clou 670f coachbuilt camper based on a LT50 chassis.

Does anyone know of any firms that can supply a soundproofing kit for the cab.
I can cope with the 55mph top speed but it does get pretty noisy....

I'd just like to be able to hear the radio....
rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 09 at 01:08
My cab area was totally covered with carpet when the conversion was done. Seems to have been put over the original rubber covering. It's also over the engine cover. It's still noisy compared to my old Ford Sierra, but think it's about as good as you can get for the LT. People who drive modern transit vans remark it's quieter.
LT35 camper 1987 2.4 litre 6 pot diesel, DW engine, no turbo, no PAS.
blackdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 09 at 15:23
I've bought some of this stuff but havent got round to fitting yet.

Could be expensive for larger areas!
16" syncro doka
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 09 at 16:37
Similar product here, again not cheap but may be worth it.

http://auto.frost.co.uk/search?p=KK&srid=S8-3&lbc=frost&ts=custom&pw=soundproofing&uid=781024770&isort=score&view=grid&w=Sound%20Deadening%20Felt&rk=7
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 09 at 17:08
I've worked in radio studios for much of my previous life and there is nothing magical about sound proofing material, so I wouldn't pay much for it. Loft insulation is great for box sections (I have it in the walls of the camper area of my van). Obviously that is no good for the cab floor, but thick carpet type material with plenty of air holes inside it is best. I'd go for a layer or perhaps two of carpet underlay and then top off with the carpet design of your choice. That will deaden it as much as is possible. It's a bit more difficult to do the doors as you don't really want something like loft insulation in there as it can get wet on the inside of the door. Lining the back of the hardboard panel with something sound absorbing but waterproof like bubble wrap would help. Must not block the drainage holes at the bottom of the door though. If good at doing trim then lining the outside of the trim where the window winder and door lock is, would make a big difference too. Deadening the dash by putting something on the top of the shelf, under the dash and areas of metal under the dash. Mine has a bed over the cab so that is well insulated, but if its just the inside of the roof above you, that would benefit from a thick layer of insulation. A couple of inches at least.

It will all make it quieter. Just depends how far you want to go.

My van has carpet all over the cab area fitted by the man who did the conversion. I couldn't do the tricky work like he did covering the engine cover and under the seats etc. It goes over everything on my van including the air filter box cover. Even that makes a big difference. Mine is only about 3/8 inch think carpet, but as I said its quieter than the cab of a modern transit.

Edited by rockradio - 12 Jan 09 at 17:14
LT35 camper 1987 2.4 litre 6 pot diesel, DW engine, no turbo, no PAS.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 09 at 17:33
Most of the noise in my bus is from the engine, dip the clutch at say 50mph and the difference is amazing. Try the same on your van and if it is much improved you know where to start

Just be sure you use the proper heat proof stuff and adhesive under the engine cover.

As for the rest I agree with rockradio, go down to your local carpet place and scrounge some off cuts of their best quality underlay. Probably some in the skip outside too.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Dedo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 09 at 19:42
Hi all,

RockRadio can you please post a photo of the carpet over the engine cover to give us an idea of how can whe shape that?
'86 LT28 Diesel Sven Hedin
 Post Reply Post Reply