The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

smokey 2.4td

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: smokey 2.4td
    Posted: 25 Nov 08 at 10:17
my 95 2.4td seems to be kicking out more than its share of smoke at the moment. mainly when in higher revs/turbo's going... I'm thinking maybe a turbo oil seal is a bit knackered. anything else it might be (preferable nothing terminal Confused )
"LT Massive"
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 08 at 15:47
Check the small pipe that runs from the manifold to the pump if its come lose or perished it wont advance the pump when the turbo reaches full boost.
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 08 at 15:53
thanks, will check when i get home. vacuum hose i assume? should have some spare lying around if it is...
"LT Massive"
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 08 at 17:08
yeh same stuff but it blows rather than sucks(pardon the expression) you could also check the filters they make a big difference
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 08 at 17:20
air and fuel filters been done in the last couple of months. oil needs doing though.
"LT Massive"
dragonfire709 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragonfire709 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 08 at 09:00
Mine seems to be very smokey on start up (IE Neil Diamond Concert smokey) from cold,  but after a couple of minutes clears and runs fine. Is there any way to reduce the amount of smoke??
T4 Karmann Karuso

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 08 at 09:29
a had more that sort of smoke a few months ago. changes a couple of glow plugs and the glow plug fuses and that helped a fair bit.
"LT Massive"
dragonfire709 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragonfire709 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 08 at 13:55
Will try that-cheers for the info!
T4 Karmann Karuso

machine View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 08 at 20:30
Mine is a bit like that too, whats the best way to check the glow plugs??
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 08 at 08:29
Are you using the cold start knob, it looks like a choke on the right side of the steering wheel if you pull it out till the engine gets warm it should stop the smoke or at least reduce it
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 08 at 16:05
it doesnt seem to make much difference really on mine, when cold of hot.

Edited by MostlyMonki - 04 Dec 08 at 16:07
"LT Massive"
machine View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 08 at 22:25
Hi,

I checked my cold start knob today, seems a clip comes off so it wasn't doing anything anyway!! Am I right in thinking all it does is give the engine a little more gas on starting?? Surely I can just depress the accelerator slightly?

Thanks
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 08 at 11:03
No IT advances the pump timing a little, Diesels need a precise mixture of fuel and air unlike petrols which can run rich adding more fuel would juts make them smoke more
machine View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 08 at 20:32
Hummm, mine definitely just seems to be connected to the throttle!! Anyone got any diagrams or any photographs on how it should look and what its should be connected to?

I really want to try and stop her from smoking so much, I am talking her round the alps come boxing day and I am thinking the cold and altitude may make matters worse!! I don't want to be responsible for any more global warming :-)
mike38 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 08 at 22:27
it should connect to a leaver on the side of the pump next to the block get your head down by the pump and look under it you should see the bracket and arm it clamps onto if you pull the arm toward the front of the van it advances the pump it should give you a bit of diesel knock push it back and it puts the timing back right and the knock should go.

Mike
machine View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 08 at 18:16
So would I be right in saying it should not be connected to the throttle at all??
mike38 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 08 at 19:47
yes it dont connect to the throttle as it dont speed the motor up it just advances the timing do a search of this site theres a link to a stripdown of the bosch pump showing the lever it connects to.
Mike
eltee View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eltee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 08 at 15:41
just thought this may help

1993 2.4 Diesel VW LT35 LWB PAS self build camper
part of the "LT Massive"
1990 syncro part of the "off road massive"
machine View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 08 at 16:39
Eltee, thats great! I will open up the hood tomrrow AM and investigate!

Cheers
mulch View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 08 at 15:50
hey there.... just to add to this... when i did an engine change from a petrol to a diesel, i forgot completely about the advance knob and so it was left in the ON position.

this makes for very smoky emissions which will never clear and in fact i was close to scrapping the vehicle because nobody could figure out why it was smoking so much....

then just by accident/fate, a friend and i were scrabbling for answers and we stumbled on the lever (just below the fuel pump).... switched it to the opposite direction (effectively shutting it off) and the van lived!!!!

not sure how easy it will be to change given you probably have the cable attached... you could try affixing that cable or detach it completely for troubleshooting purposes...

mulch :] 
 Post Reply Post Reply