The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

power steering problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: power steering problem
    Posted: 25 Nov 08 at 10:10

i think my PAS pump might be ion its way out... from a standstill, if i get the steering wheel to about 4/3 of the way to full lock, it feels all of a suddenas though i have no power steering, and theres a sort of low pitch squeeling sound coming from somewhere, then all of a sudden the PAS kicks in again. its fine when I'm driving, just seems to be on startup and sometimes when turning tightly (like when swinging round in a turn off to come back on the same road).

diagnosis anyone? is my pump on its way out, or maybe just needs topping up with fluid?
"LT Massive"
team french View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote team french Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 08 at 15:48
possibly a slipping pump belt(if they are belt driven on LTs)
1978 2litre LT28 abbomination!!!!
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 08 at 17:05
yep slipping belt if you lost power steering at each end of full lock its fluid but as yours is when cold its the belt either tighten or clean they slip if they get oily
 Post Reply Post Reply