The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Petrol or Diesel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lambretta Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 10:23
Fine looking engine fella,you must have spent a fortune on it.
Flat out with a flat four- Subaru powered of course!
kooldubs View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'M STILL HERE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kooldubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 10:24
Originally posted by smurf smurf wrote:

I've got a 1.9 dg and unless you like filling up a lot, buy a diesel, I would in hindsight.

here here !!
86 t3 doka & 2001 T4 2.5 TDI
mr bricolage View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr bricolage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 14:38
Bet that turbo wbx engine is really economical. I'm quite happy with what I have and it looks a lot neater in the engine bay than a wbx
Euramobil Terestra
jed the spread View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION
Bullshitter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jed the spread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 17:57

I just did a trip to tesco down the end of my road were i fill up. Petrol 83.9ppl Derv 95.9ppl

2.1i on petrol costs 15p per mile to run
tdi costs 15p per mile to run
1.6td costs 12p per mile to run
2.1i on lpg costs 10p per mile to run

jed
[URL=http://www.whatatool.com[/URL]

My real name is Jarrod Walsh my number is 07940177101 or email Jed@campervanCulture.com for enquiries.
peet View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Soft Southern Shite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 18:09
My old DG used to do 3/4 a tank each way on my regular trip to Newport n back, my 1.9 AAZ does it on 1 tankful though I am not known for my economic driving style...
Not tried an LPG conversion yet but for the amount of miles to cost for the conversion it's not worth it.
TBH I think all the stock engines are pretty poor compared to most newer designed units, I would love a Porsche engined van most of all but dread to think what the fuel is on them!!! Trouble is I got into vans to slow me down a bit so would be jus stupid but the idea jus doesnt go away... LOL 
Firefighter twisted Firefighter...
clive883 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Moaner Lisa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive883 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 18:29
My problem is the moneys has been spent on the body and interior the engine ok  1.9dg so im goming to have to live with it.
but i like the sound it makes, and wear my nike light foots. or put ballons on my right foot. Stern Smile
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 18:33
Originally posted by green manalishi green manalishi wrote:

This is a great engine. WBX with a turbo, megasquirt injection, chargecooling.

oooofff!!

bet that thing shifts!!Clap

Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

clive883 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Moaner Lisa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clive883 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 18:35
The problem with diesel , ive see some good car written off by this , is if the diesel pump fails its so expensive to replace it has beEN uneconomical to repair .some at over £1000 to replace , at least if my did go wrong at worst its a new carb £350 ?
IF YOU DRIVE A DIESEL MAKE SURE YOU DONT OVER FILL OR YOUR SYSTEM LEAK  , IT KILLS MOTORCYCLISTS, THANK YOU
Lambretta Mark View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lambretta Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 23:48
Diesel on the road is indeed lethal. It is part of the MOT to have a good seal on your Diesel cap and should be checked every time you fill up to make sure its still there.
All the same, you dont wanna waste such a costly fuel do you? Or allow grit,water and crap into your tank.
T3s have the cap in the front arch as you all know which,without a good seal lets in all the water and crap,ruining your expensive pumps.
 I ride a Vintage Lambretta scooter by the way.
green manalishi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green manalishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 23:56
Unluckily that engine is not mine, just saw it on an american forum. nicest turbo install I have seen though.
1991 2.1 DJ 16" Factory Hightop camper
rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 09 at 08:38
Fell off my bike on a wet road with a diesel slick from a coach and put the ScoobyVelle sideways on the A57 after some kind soul had spread it from the reservoirs to Glossop!!
Tis evil stuff.
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
HOT 1200 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOT 1200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 09 at 10:25
Originally posted by Dave Breed Dave Breed wrote:

was bit undecided myself, but got a 1.6D yes its underpowered on the hills criuse along at 60, but i think the main point is missing, is it all about getting there as quickly as you can or enjoying the drive stopping for some food and a cuppa then continuing on your way enjoying the views as you plod along. ??

dave  

At last !, someone actualy said the right thing and put the joy back into owning a T3 bus....You hit nail on the head, well said.........Clap

Lets face it, even a fast T3 isnt really fast in the real world, I expect any average family car or Merc Sprinter van could out run most modified T3's........LOLLOLLOL
Bigger is not always better!
rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 09 at 10:55
On motorways most vans pass me in the ScoobyVelle, not had many overtake me on Byways and green lanes though  WinkLOL
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
Mooch View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 09 at 22:18
Originally posted by HOT 1200 HOT 1200 wrote:

Originally posted by Dave Breed Dave Breed wrote:

was bit undecided myself, but got a 1.6D yes its underpowered on the hills criuse along at 60, but i think the main point is missing, is it all about getting there as quickly as you can or enjoying the drive stopping for some food and a cuppa then continuing on your way enjoying the views as you plod along. ??

dave  

At last !, someone actualy said the right thing and put the joy back into owning a T3 bus....You hit nail on the head, well said.........Clap

Lets face it, even a fast T3 isnt really fast in the real world, I expect any average family car or Merc Sprinter van could out run most modified T3's........LOLLOLLOL

Yup, no rush, I like that attitude - although I must say my recon Vege 1.9i petrol seems really versatile, putts about happily at a snail's pace in town if I want but was purring along effortlessly (apart from the hills) at 65 - 70 mph today without a prob, I love it..... Smile
Mooch

1983 T3 Vanagon Westy, 1.9i Watercooled Petrol (Vege recon)
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 09 at 10:21
Personally, I like to get where I'm going as quickly as possible a lot of the time.

Pootling along is all very well when youre in holiday mode, but i dont want to waste half my life trundling along admiring the scenery as I pass Barnsley on the M1 thankyou very much. LOL

Ive had 2.1 and 1.9 petrol. 1.6 Turbod Diesel and a 1.6CT aircooled shitter.

The aircooled van was dangerous on busy roads. The petrols were ace. The 2.1s are a hoot to drive, and sound great. The 1.9 (injection) was a good balance - decent performance and more economy than the 2.1.
Ive also had a 2.1 on gas. Which was great, whilst you were filling with LPG, but the times there was no LPG available - usually after following directions to an LPG station in a remote are from POIs to find it didnt exist and you ended up putting petrol in til you got to the next one - took away any advantages.
I also used to waste loads of time going off my planned route to find LPG and route planning was a nightmare over long distances making sure I routed near a (supposed) LPG station, especially on Motorway/Autoroute travel where I was having to come off to find LPG. Dog shit when all you want is to arrive.

Its horse for courses. I chose a diesel for the lower running cost, easier maintenance, availability of fuel, and the ability to get me where I'm going easily and quickly.

Im not arsed about being the fastest thing on 4 wheels, I just dont want to be the one holding everyone else up Wink
As someone else said up there, whatever the engine, Petrol, Diesel, Aircooled, watercooled, Vw, Non VW...  a T3 is never going to be as quick as even an average family car, or modern van unless youre willing to spend thousands.

My van is getting an AAZ in the not too distant future. Not because I think it will make it a fire breathing monster, but because i want a little bit more tug on the hills.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
HOT 1200 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOT 1200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 09 at 10:36
I think I have the most dangerous and slowest T3 engine sitting in my garage doing nothhing, its now a museam piece and a shrine to remind people how not to do things!

Folks, I give the you humble 1.6n/a diesel engine..........in a heavy T3....awefull and dangerous. Althogth im told the 1.6CT engine is just as slow and a lot less reliable!

GaV
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lambretta Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 09 at 17:37
Hi mate, that 1600D was new wasnt it, you should sell sell it on.
Sold mine to offset some of the cost of the Subaru upgrade. Got £200 for it.Thumbs Up

HOT 1200 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOT 1200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 09 at 14:56
Originally posted by Lambretta Mark Lambretta Mark wrote:

Hi mate, that 1600D was new wasnt it, you should sell sell it on.
Sold mine to offset some of the cost of the Subaru upgrade. Got £200 for it.Thumbs Up

Hi mate, yes it brand spanking new from VW CANADA...A mate imported a T3 with a new Factory VW 1.6d, he then fitted a Mid Mounted V8 engine........I have not seen the finished product yet......but it was looking good.......!

I got purchased the 1.6d engine complete coz I need the sump....my Mtdi sump is badly cracked/broken....but still going!

GaV

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lambretta Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 09 at 19:57
Gav,
Send me the sump or drop it off next time youre down here and I will TIG weld it up for you at work no worries.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123