The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

K&N Air Filters.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: K&N Air Filters.
    Posted: 05 Oct 08 at 19:18
Thought I'd post this as K&N are some of the best filters around and we all need em'

Here's a link to the page with the relevant filter for every LT on the K&N website.

Tip. If you click on the part number you want it'll take you to another page with more info on your filter, then click on the vehicle applications text in the box marked "Available Information" it'll give you another page with a list of all the other vehicles that use the same filter.
Hopefully we'll be able to shop around for a better price, or find one easier.

Hope it helps.
You nod yer ed n I'll it' it     
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 08 at 08:40
Hate web sites that don't give prices, but they are good filters no doubt.
Last one I bought was washable, don't know if that's true for all.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Butternut boy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 08 at 09:51
What's that cliche "if you have to ask you can't afford it".

I thought all K&N's were washable be good to know so correct me if I'm wrong someone.
You're right about the site/price thing Andy, just posted it really for the cross-referencing bit with all the other more common vehicles.
team french View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote team french Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 08 at 11:33
as far as i know all k+n's are washable but you are supposed to use the propper cleaner then re-oil but from memory they can do a good few miles between(more than a standard replacment) under normal use.
1978 2litre LT28 abbomination!!!!
lloyd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 08 at 16:45
Sorry, but K&N are not good filters.  Yes, they flow a little more air but also flow more small dirt particles then stock filters.  I used to do dirt and desert racing and was amazed at now much fine stuff got through them into carbs.

Duramax air filter test report:
http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm 
clearly shows the difference. 

Bobistheoilguy isn't as scientific as it could be, but not bad,  http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm 
and shows how much dirt gets through vs airflow.

Edited by lloyd - 08 Oct 08 at 09:53
Brixham, Devon
88 LHD 1.9 4sp westy conversion Reimo hi-top
Dedo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 08 at 18:38
Originally posted by lloyd lloyd wrote:

Sorry, but K&N are not good filters.  Yes, they flow a little more air but also flow more small dirt particles then stock filters.  I used to do dirt and desert racing and was amazed at now much fine stuff got through them into carbs. Duramax air filter test report: http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm  clearly shows the difference.  Bobistheoilguy isn't as scientific as it could be, but not bad,  http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm  and shows how much dirt gets through vs airflow.

Unfortunately that's true. Also, IMHO the high mileage of the standard LT's paper filter combined with the high cost of the K&N and the added cost of servicing it with dedicated cleaner and oil makes it not a bargain...
'86 LT28 Diesel Sven Hedin
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 08 at 20:03
No need to apologize fella's, always glad of experience and info
I say thank you for it and for the links, any advice always gratefully received my end.
lloyd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 08 at 20:13
Glad you understand.  Many believe advertising hype instead of factual studies.  Smile
Brixham, Devon
Dedo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 08 at 07:21
Should I say the truth, I was very tempted by the K&N for the improved air flow....which could give my van a little boost LOL. Howewer I mounted one on my bike once, and I did'nt notice any improvement.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 08 at 09:21
And true to form, I cant find a single manufacturer on the Duramax report who manufacture a filter for my bus with the exception of............... you guessed it..... K&N

And yes according to that test they're

Interesting read though.
lloyd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 08 at 09:51
There are 2 links.   2 different tests.  Both show replacement paper filters work better then re-cleanable filters (K&N or Amsoil) 

My guess is any replacement paper filter is better then re-cleanable filter. Wink
Brixham, Devon
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote team french Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 08 at 14:35
Originally posted by Dedo Dedo wrote:

Should I say the truth, I was very tempted by the K&N for the improved air flow....which could give my van a little boost LOL. Howewer I mounted one on my bike once, and I did'nt notice any improvement.

i put one on my last bike(klx650 supermoto) it did seem to make a slight differance over the standard foam filter and an induction noise that sounded like it would eat smll children . as usual tho if you allow one side of an engine to breathe easier you do need to to do the other side to get max beneffits(the bike did have a straight thru pipe). but back to LT's the filter on mine is massive for a 2ltr engine and cant see it haveing much restriction. to improve air flow the first thing to look at is the ducting to the engine, either removing so its not drawing down a great lenght or increasing the size to allow more flow and still getting fresh cool air from in front of the van.

Edited by team french - 08 Oct 08 at 14:38
Dedo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 08 at 15:18
I have a Africa Twin 750 with a straight pipe and...yes, induction noise was GREAT LOL
mike38 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 08 at 16:55
I have now got a straight thru pipe on me lt because i was sick of the loose baffles inside the box rattling around and it sounds ace you wanna hear the turbo whistle now

Mike
Dedo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 08 at 19:40
LOL hehe give us more info Mike Wink mine rattles too Ouch
mike38 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 08 at 21:19
Lol just grind the welds off the can ends remove them knock all the baffles and shite out weld the ends back on just leave the center tube with all the holes in to give the flange strength its not that extra loud u cant tell on tickover but when under power it sounds nice when you are upto like 50mph you cant tell it just sounds normal.

Mike
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote team french Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 08 at 22:00
diesels arnt that loud realy and turbos can do a good job of silencing also. the zorst on my t4 is a side exit and only has the cat left in, cant say you would notice the extra noise when the windows are up
 Post Reply Post Reply