The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Axle swapping and 6 cyls of the 90s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle swapping and 6 cyls of the 90s
    Posted: 26 Sep 08 at 01:46
Hello all. I've read a few posts that touch on this, but nothing thorough. I went and got a 2.4l Petrol 6-cyclinder out of a 1994 LT to replace my knackered 2.0l, but it doesn't fit into my 1982 LT with its old front axle. The oil pan on the 2.4l sits at the back, where as the old 2.0l had it at the front.

I suppose they must have redesigned the axle when they started fitting the 6cyl turbo diesel engines along with the petrol variant I now have. Can anyone shed any light on the subject, such as when the redesign was done so I can make sure any donor van is the right age? If anyone with a later model could take pics so we can compare engine mounts and just what exactly needs to be adapted to make it fit? For all I know, it could be a case of a simple bolt-on :) I imagine the upgrade from the underpowered 2.0l could be a popular plan for others, and I'm documenting my progress as I move along, so might provide a reference guide I'll publish here. I'm going to try and source a front axle off of a 90s LT and experiment, hopefully study the 90s mounts.. if I can find a donor at all. If there's going to be a lot of cutting and welding involved however, I'll broaden probably my horizons and fit something from this decade :P

Edited by Tommy28 - 26 Sep 08 at 01:48
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 08 at 10:21
HI Ive had a look at the manual for running gear 28 31 35 theres no mention of different axles but my manual is 1983 edition I guess the change must have been been before that wish I could shed more light on it sorry
 Post Reply Post Reply