The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine swap
    Posted: 08 Sep 08 at 11:08
Hello,Over the moon to find this forum. Had nearly given up on my 1993 vw lt35 2.4d. Have already had one engine swap done and tried fitting turbo to 2.4d engine.But van just keeps breaking down. Now the burning question, does anyone know if the engine out of a 96 vw lt28 will go into my 93 vw lt35? Or will I need to fit front axle aswell.?How big a job and what kinda cost?
Just want as much info as possible before i go to a garage and get badly stung.
Sorry about all the questions but have had no one to ask all along.
Thanks very much.
p.s. Im in Ireland by the way.
eltee View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eltee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 08 at 08:26
THE  96 will go into the 93 see if you can get all ancilleries aswell. makes life a bit easier.
is the 96 a Td ?
a 35 should be coil spring front end like yours, as the number definition refers to gross weight LT28 lt30 lt35 usually coil springs, lt40 45 50 leaf spring. so no need for axle swap.

what was wrong with the 2.4d?

1993 2.4 Diesel VW LT35 LWB PAS self build camper
part of the "LT Massive"
1990 syncro part of the "off road massive"
isup View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 08 at 10:25
 Big Green im in ireland too, theres a couple of us on here at this stage. where in the country are you. a mechanic i know in galway has his eye on an old LT that he was gonna try and get for parts for me, but i think its a longshot. 
1988 LT31 2.4 Turbo Diesel- slow work in progress --Eire
Big Green View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 08 at 11:58

Hello cheers for replies.Isup im in kerry.i have my doner van lined up.just trying to figure out if its possible mechanicaly.and of course what damage it will do to my pocket.

eltee,i have a few more questions if you dont mind.when you say ancilleries do you mean starter,altenater,etc.if so will have all that as buying complete van.last time i had engine swaped the mechanic said front axle on turbo lt was completly different.so he fitted turbo axle.thats why i was wondering about axle swap.
what wrong with engine at the moment.no idea.bad oil leak some wear.when it does start it smokes so bad you cant see the van.not that it matters at the moment as it wont start at all now.have done plugs,relay,fuses,fuel lines and new battery.from what ive read it might be the compression thats wrong over fitting turbo to non turbo engine.but i dont know as im not mechanicaly minded.i just want my van working.
not sure if doner van is turbo or not yet.
thanks again.

1993 VW LT35 2.4 HOME CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply