The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT 35 Turbo D Overheating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proud to be LT35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT 35 Turbo D Overheating
    Posted: 01 Sep 08 at 21:43
My LT35D runs hot. This is not a problem ntil you whizz up a long hill or exceed 70mph. There are two cooling fans. One runs from the fa belt and the other is lectrical. As the overheating occus when there should be plenty of air past the radiator I'm thinking it is a thermostat or blocked radiator core.... but worrying that maybe I need to add an additional radiator as perhaps LT's are prone to this.

Anybody else noticed overheating/hot running?

Proud to be LT35
mike38 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 08 at 22:25
Dont know what model of lt you have but i think if its the older pre sprinter shape and you are pushing it up to 70 they start to over heat and can damage the motor.My temp rises when going up long hills and when pushing it from 55 to 60.

Mike
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 08 at 21:26
Sounds like you might be pushing the van a little, but thermostats are cheap to replace.
At the same time you can flush the radiator top to bottom until you get clean water out.
Can't do any harm and could save an expensive repair.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

AudioWizard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AudioWizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 08 at 20:11
I had the same problem with mine (although not turbo) - it's been in for a full service and change of all filters & liquids including flushing the coolant system - picking it up in a few days and hopefully it'll be all good! Big%20smile
1997 T4 1.9TD - Self-Build Camper in progress
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 08 at 19:57
Hi my old 45 2.4 td did the same turned out to be the waterpump was leaking at the bearing. do you lose any water?
Terry
Proud to be LT35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proud to be LT35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 08 at 21:55

Have now flushed system with collant cleaner and refilled witrh fresh antifreeze. Runs cooler. also found some goon had teid tied the electric fan still with a cable tie.  The fuses look ok but I wuld imagine that something would have burnt out after said good and cable tie business. Also the heater fan is U/S.

Any body had any experienec replacing either fan?

Thanks
Proud to be LT35
Butternut boy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 08 at 19:28
Probably worth a quick check to make sure the handbrake/brake aren't binding slightly, I had a similar problem and after going through all the cooling system possibilities it turned out the flippin' hand brake arms on the rear shoes weren't returning correctly.
Just thought I'd mention it anyway.

Butternut.
You nod yer ed n I'll it' it     
 Post Reply Post Reply