The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement roof canvas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1360rallye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement roof canvas
    Posted: 15 Jul 08 at 12:53
Does anyone have any recommendations where to get a reasonable replacement roof canvas (grey) for an 87 Westfalia Joker.  JK used to do one (£149) but don't list it online anymore. 

I found this in USA - has anyone purchased one from this source.  They say they are imported from europe - any idea where? Gunzel want 470 Euro's for beige! 
Start off every day with a smile and get it over with.
rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 08 at 13:10
got mine from GoWesty.com
Excellent quality but not cheap - there are some pics on the website in the sig.
Cheers, Paul
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 08 at 18:01
I've just ordered one from gowesty,  didn't think the price was to bad, I paid $395 for the arcylic one,  postage was only $66.  I did get a 10% discount though for 4th of julyThumbs%20Up  bout' £230 delivered.

I read that the JK one wasn't to great anyway.
stephenge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 08 at 20:32
spoke to JK at recent vw show and they told me they are about to start reselling roof canvas'. Give them a ring , told me they were better quality than before and still £149.
1360rallye View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1360rallye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 08 at 21:09
Thanks for the replies.  While I'm tempted by the price of the JK version I've bitten the bullet and ordered the GoWesty Acrylic version. 
Start off every day with a smile and get it over with.
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 08 at 08:55
You will not be disappointed, they are excellent.
If you need any info on fitting it just shout - it's a lot easier than the Septics make out.
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
mojo175 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 08 at 12:38
Hi

I too just ordered the acrylic one from go westy and got the 4th July 10% discount, £220 all in. They say 1 to 2 weeks delivery direct from manufacturer. Hope its a straightforward fit.
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 08 at 12:42
Hi Mojo - yep it is.
Just need to do it in the right order.
In their instructions they advise you to have half a dozen people on hand and to remove the entire roof!
It can be a one person job in one afternoon.
Cheers, Paul.
mojo175 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 08 at 16:21
Hi Roger

When you say the right order do you mean just to follow their instructions or do you have some tips / tricks you learned when you did it?
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 08 at 16:28
No and yes in that orderBig%20smile
mojo175 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 08 at 02:38
Any chance you could share those tips with me?
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 08 at 09:30
Yep - have a look here and if you want to chat through it pm me your number.
Cheers, Paul
pamela View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pamela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 08 at 18:16

I fitted one from go westy not long ago and the only advice I can give is take the roof off and do it on the deck, mine was such a tight fit it took 3 people to pull it into shape, all I can say it was a nightmare. 3 days keep us up to date with how you get on good luck.

pam
 Post Reply Post Reply