The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1986 1.6TD Pulley (and am I going mad?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VonAngus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1986 1.6TD Pulley (and am I going mad?)
    Posted: 02 Jun 08 at 15:45
Hi all, the ongoing waterpump belt and pulley saga on my 86 1.6td Westy.  I think I am truly going mad, had yet another go after a few months break at the waterpump V belt/pulley scenario, and I could have sworn that when I last undid the three allen bolts that the pulley that drives the waterpump belt (behind alternator belt) had TWO identical parts which have the adjustment shims inbetween them.  When I undid the three allen bolts on Friday I could only find one, which sort of went onto a bigger pulley.  I put a new belt on, and looked at the run/travel of the belt from above with the engine idling and it seemed to at least run true, thereby apparently doing away with my theory of the pulley being in two identical parts with shims for adjustment inbetween.  If any kind soul out there knows what I speak of, or if I should contact a Priest at the earliest opportunity pray tell.  ta VonAngus
Van VonAngus 1.6TD Westy
Pete Westy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 08 at 15:54
My 1990 1.6 TD has PAS. The water pump is driven from the same belt as the generator. My water pump pulley had an (apparently) solid pulley held to the pump shaft by 3 allen cap screws. No shims to be seen. You tension the belt by adjusting the generator so no need for shimming.
 I've had to do quite a bit of praying so knowing the priest's number could be a good idea.

Edited by Pete Westy - 02 Jun 08 at 16:02
 Post Reply Post Reply