The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT28 diesel / Veggie oil? Can it be done?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT28 diesel / Veggie oil? Can it be done?
    Posted: 22 May 08 at 11:36
After a bit of a financial hiccup a month or so ago where I had to sell my Syncro, I've sorted things out now and gone back onto the market and bought an LT28 2.4 TD...

Just wondering, as it does about 30 to the gallon on a good day...

Will they run on veggie oil?
Has anyone tried it in an LT, and has anyone had any problems or successes?
What sort of mixes are you running?

Ta :)
mike38 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 08 at 21:23
I run mine on a mix of 50/50 derv last summer and played about with mixes of petrol and veg van ran ok but not worth doing now i was looking at veg oil tonight in asda think it was about £3.50 for 3litres
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 08 at 18:27
Ahhh they screw us over in every way!!! Cry
moocow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

If only....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moocow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 08 at 21:54
Can you not put a preheater in and run off of pure veg oil? I'm sure that I have seen somewhere (possibly ebay) where a van had that type of conversion on.

Not too clued up on the Diesel LT though as ours is a petrol but might be going over to LPG soon as I have had a quote at a local firm for £900 to fit it with tank and eveything so It will be worth my while what with LPG being half the price (at the mo!!!)

Best place to buy the veg oil from would be a catering suppliers and buy it in big drums - even tesco do it in a 15l for 98p a litre which still saves a bit but I would have thought you could get it down to 70/80p buy buying in bulk?

thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 08 at 08:46
Hi Ive run an astra 1.7 td a discovery and an lt on svo straight veg oil I bought preheaters for all of them on ebay they dead easy to fit and range in price from £45 up mine cost £100 they fit in the fuel line before the pump and use glowplugs to heat the oil which stops the glycerin in the oil separating out under pressure asnd clogging the pump I had no probs with any of them and my new van will be converted asap i get wvo waste veg oil from a local chippy which once filtered filters on ebay costs about 20p per liter all info can be found at google green van or svo ebay search biodiesel hope this helps.Terry
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 08 at 09:04
one other thing I would consider changing your exhaust so it exits on the drivers side and not under the side unless you like the smell of barbecues by the way you will use more veg oil than dino diesel but you get more power you can use 2500 liters of oil per annum before you have to pay any duty on it its worth doing at one point I was running 3 cars for the family forless than £40 per week but Im now looking at running my new lt for vertually nothing
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 08 at 21:14
hi,

I've been running my 2.4d non turbo on Waist Veg for about 2 months now. Been cleaning by passing through a Tee shirt. Was on 50/50 then got a little silly and stopped paying so much attention and had a degrading start up - lots of coughing and has been concking out now and again Embarrassed Think thats down to dirty injectors. Doing a big run tomorrow - 150 miles so gonna run a tank of fresh diesel through and see where to go from there...

There are good heaters on ebay/ 2vow think they are called. Pre heats oil via glow plugs then water from colling system takes over once it's heated up. You can go up to about 90% oil! no need for a second pre heated tank either. Retail at about £100 but could make one yourself for about £30...

regards,

Tom
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 08 at 19:41
hi Tom a t shirt isnt fine enough you have to filter down to 5 microns the poor starting is cured by preheating it also helps if you can heat up the oil to evaporate any moisture in the wvo I had a homemade heater to begin with but the 2vow units have a sensor to switch them off when the oil gets to 90deg this stops your batery going flat also dino diesel losses its lubricating propertiesat this temp so if you do run a mix your top end suffers and no one wants that
terry
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 08 at 22:53
2vow thats the one... gonna nock me one up out of a fan thermostat, billet of ally, glow plugs and some hose connectors. Recon I can do it for £30.

Ran a tank or 2 through and it's all good again.

I know I should be more careful - t shirt isn't ideal but then diesels were designed to run on coal dust!

regards,

Tom
AndyVan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
BCS Capt'n.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyVan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 08 at 23:07
Hi...Google your local Biodiesel people...we've got Sundance Renewables here in Capel Hendre...all properly done and is 92p a litre at the moment....I went up to Sheffield lasy week and they have 2 places owned by the same peeps....it was £1-18 there!!!....Have used Bio in my 2-4D for the last 5 months now its spot on and helluva lot cheaper too!!!...In winter I bunged a tenners worth of diesel in every couple of full tanks worth to stop the 'glooping' (great word!!) up....Oh and after you have put a couple of full tanks in change the filter as the Bio will flush all kinds of diesel crap thro....then it runs better too....(well it has worked for us anyway!!!)....job done!!!...Thumbs%20Up
BCS Gaffer and Volkswagen restoring bloke
DarrenUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarrenUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 08 at 00:51
Hello,

New here just got myself an LT35 2.5Tdi.

I know a fair bit about vegetable oil fuel the VOW2 heaters are not that great although the bloke appears to shift a fair few.

The  indirect injection VW diesel engines (before the Tdi/Sdi ) are a good candidate for running veg.  You can do a number of things to improve your experience.

1st and foremost your engine needs to be in good working order.

Then
New injector nozzles (veg don't spray as well out of used injectors)
Slightly longer glow plugs - also modify the control so they stay on for a bit longer before and after starting.
Fuel heater - best bet is a flat plate heat exchanger as it puts loads of heat into the fuel.

I bought my LT to run on veg but to do this reliably requires a bit more work.  I've learnt how to modify the ECU on my Skoda and have all the kit to do the LT.   I can then change the engine control to suit the different fuel, improve starting etc.

If anyones interested I can source bits and pieces for this, renozzle injectors etc. etc.

Best

Darren
catwithneonfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catwithneonfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 16 at 17:29
Hi Darren,

I've just bought a 2001 VW LT32 2.5 TDI.

It's 8 years later (!) but I wondered how you got on with your LT35?

I'm pretty keen to run mine on WVO.

Cheers!
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 16 at 20:01
Got a complete 120L bio diesel set up here and about 400L of oil for sale as I haven't got the time anymore   

You can have the whole lot for £200

It's needs a new stand being built but apart from that it's all good to go.

Makes good clean 100L batches for about £35 including oil and chemicals and methanol.
 Post Reply Post Reply