The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seal Recall for T30

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 09 at 17:31
well i went to get a new stalk and they said i needed the oil cooler changing which they did  under guarantee
dazoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 09 at 16:00
Jock,

I have been doing some asking around and for a vehicle that is out of warranty, get a second opinion from an independent garage. It seems all to easy for these VW garages to present a wealth of problems when nobody is going to challenge their diagnosis. I am sure there are many great mechanics working in dealerships, but remember a truly good mechanic can make a lot more money in a small independent business or out on his own.

If you thought your van was ok, how come everything on it is at breakdown point? Doesn't seem right, does it? If things were failing badly, you would have noticed surely? How come you have had no actual failures, no warning lights, no smoke...?

Presented with a list like that, I'd be taking it to an independent to see what he would fix to keep it running well.
05 T5 LWB Panel van
shaun89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 09 at 20:50
i have a 2005 swb t30 174 and the oil cooler went. after getting it replaced half a mile down the road the turbo packed in. only 40,000 miles on it but out of warranty last year is there no wy volkswaGON WOULD DO ANYTHING?????????
s.mullan
gason View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 09 at 18:15
you could always hassle them to show good will GOOD LUCK
roadmark69 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadmark69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 09 at 09:14
I wonder how VW at Milton Keynes would feel if a large number of vans were to turn up with known faults,that they seem reluctant to admit.I am sure it would attract some un wanted press attention. 
Mark Coates - Purveyor of mats for T3, T4 and T5 - E-mail - 07917542685
http://www.megavanmats.com/
paulbanc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 09 at 21:04
Hmmmm, sounds kinda familiar after a long battle with VW they agreed to replace my gearbox (tiptronic) (long story!) anyways, as a result of the dealer getting the van into their workshop they discovered that there was engine oil in the coolant and steering fluid!!! As the gearbox was being sorted out I felt obliged to have them take care of the problem. Cost me nearly £1000 with special discount!!!!!
I now realise that it's a common problem!

mak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 09 at 10:54
hi, being new and inexperienced with all this I am wondering if any1 can tell me what years this affects, as I have just agreed to buy a 2.5 174 on a 55 plate. Also how do I go about finding out whether it would be affected.
5.2TDi View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5.2TDi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 10 at 10:43
Well I just rang the Listers Worcester & got them to check mine out. Yes there is a recall for the oil cooler & seals issue but only certain numbers within a chassis range. Luckily mine is not affected, but as mentioned previously worth a phonecall.
BOY BLUE View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOY BLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 13 at 10:01
Confused I HAVE GOT A LATE 2007 2.5 TDI 130 WILL THIS NEED DOING
gus
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 10:07
Maybe, maybe not.  Does it currently have any oil in the coolant (or power steering fluid) ?

Check in drivers side door opening for any stickers for campaigns that have been applied to your van to see if the oil cooler has already been replaced.  You can also ask a dealer whether your van is affected (they'll need your rego # or VIN).
CMP260 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMP260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 08:55
I HAVE OIL IN POWERSTEERING RESEVOIR. 2006 2.5 MULTIVAN. AFTER SEARCHING FORUMS I FIND THE BLOWN SEAL IS A KNOWN PROBLEM AND VW ARE AWARE OF IT.
I PHONE LOCAL VW DEALER AND ASK IF THERE IS A RECALL. SHE LOOKS UP MY VIN AND SAYS NO. I WHINGE AND TELL HER THAT THERE MUST BE. SHE GETS SOMEONE WHO SPEAKS ENGLISH TO SPEAK TO ME (IM IN GERMANY). I REPEAT THE ISSUE. HE TELLS ME THERE IS NO RECALL BUT THERE MIGHT BE A "TPE"
APPARENTLY A RECALL IS A MANDATORY THING WHERE VW HAVE TO ASK YOU TO COME IN (PERHAPS SAFETY RELATED). A TPE IS A KNOWN ISSUE. -HOPEFULLY OBLIGED TO FIX-. ILL FIND OUT WHEN I BRING IT IN IN A COUPLE OF DAYS.
was a 2006 130 shuttle
now a 2006 174 multivan
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 10:54
You can try for a "good will" contribution from VW, but I wouldn't hold my breath while I'm waiting .....

Might be worth finding out if VW did a free fix for Toureg owners (they have for other R5 engine faults ie oil pump).
CMP260 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMP260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 11:44
ANYONE GOT ANY IDEA WHAT A VW "TPI" OR PERHAPS "TPE" NOTICE OR BULLETIN IS?

.  -TRANSLATED FROM VW LINGO TO NON-ACRONYM?
was a 2006 130 shuttle
now a 2006 174 multivan
SebRogers View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebRogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 12:24
Originally posted by CMP260 CMP260 wrote:

ANYONE GOT ANY IDEA WHAT A VW "TPI" OR PERHAPS "TPE" NOTICE OR BULLETIN IS?

.  -TRANSLATED FROM VW LINGO TO NON-ACRONYM?

There's no need to shout Wink

TPI is Technical Product Information. TSB is Technical Service Bulletin.
'85 T3 Doka EJ22
'94 T4 Westy Cali Club ABT 2.4td
CMP260 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMP260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 13:11
sorry, to lazy to unpush caps lockPig
is TPI repair normally done free?
was a 2006 130 shuttle
now a 2006 174 multivan
SebRogers View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebRogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 15:55
I dunno. I think recalls are accompanied by a TSB and are done free. TPI, I think, clarifies a service procedure or something like that. 

You need someone who works for VW or knows their procedures to answer the question, really. Try maxandcaddy on here...
'85 T3 Doka EJ22
'94 T4 Westy Cali Club ABT 2.4td
CMP260 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMP260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 14 at 12:34
its starting to sound like ill have to do it myself, anyone familiar with the procedure?
I read I have to buy a entire expensive pump just to get the seal, is that still true?
was a 2006 130 shuttle
now a 2006 174 multivan
CMP260 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMP260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 14 at 08:39
as expected VW phoned and said the mileage is too high so they wont cover it despite the pws seal failure not being a mileage related, wear and tear part. They know its a design fault - We all know its a design fault.

I'm thinking about making a blog about the seal problem to try to embarrass VW into doing the right thing.
was a 2006 130 shuttle
now a 2006 174 multivan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123