The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

16" westy. or not.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16" westy. or not.
    Posted: 14 Apr 08 at 23:44

ok guys i want an honest opinion no bullshit please.

should i cut the roof of the syncro and fit a westy pop top.

i have a westy pop top 2wd and i have the syncro 16. if i put a roof on the syncro it would be much better as a camper as i have 2 kids and a wife that doesn`t like to be cramped.

Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 08 at 01:00

It would be a lot of work and prone to some serious problems if you did'nt do it properly.

You have got to remove the westy roof, all them spot welds in the rain gutter without making a mess. Then remove the roof from the syncro with the same care. Assuming you do all that without problems you then have to weld it all up and make it water tight as such because of the rain gutters. Personally i think its to much work when there is the element of risk with water ingress and damage when removing so many spot welds. Westfalia made a westy roof for vans that left the factory with tin tops, there called mosaic conversion kits. Dont be tempted to fit a factory camper roof to a tin top as the bed system wont work properly and you'll end up with a homemade bed system in it or have to do some major alterations of the tin top to make it work.

So you have two choices cut the hole roof of a factory westy and hope you get it right or wait for a mosiac conversion kit to appear and snap it up. The mosaic kit has it difficulties when fitting it as i found out when i did it to my syncro, but is easier than cutting a complete roof off and fitting it to another van.

Thats my pennys worth anyway.

David Pickles View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 08 at 08:36

Sounds like its easier to fit the Syncro gear to a 2wd Westy.

Or put a Reimo pop top on

1990 1.9td SYNCRO DOKA
1988 1.6td SYNCRO AMBULANCE
1989 2.1i LPG Camper
lee. View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 08 at 19:03

ah, syncro westy or westy syncro that is the question.

will look in to these mosaic conversions.

ta lee.

Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 08 at 22:58

This is something which I'm spending a lot of time thinking about at the moment with Limey.

Syncro 16 vans (i.e. not sika or doka) have extra strengthening in the body around the sliding door so putting all the 16 stuff into the westy wouldn't really keep it within the 16 theme.

Putting the westy roof panel and frame into the 16 is a serious amount of work. I wouldn't be worried about leaks as you'd seal the roof as per welding in any other panel.

I have thought about a hightop roof as it would be easier and there is more room. Plus being a 16 you're already high so what's another 2 foot on top?

MG

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 08 at 20:51

I would either look for a mosaik roof, or a reimo roof as both are designed to convert normal tin tops.

As stated, it's a lot of serious work to fit a Westy roof properly.

lee. View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 08 at 20:58

well i jumped up in to my brothers westy high top for the first time tonight to try it for size for bus types.

wow loads of room, i just cant decide between high top and pop top they both have their plus points.

positively confused. as always.  lee.

Post Reply Post Reply