The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

16" front outer cv joints

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16" front outer cv joints
    Posted: 04 Mar 08 at 22:06

am i right in thinking these are unique to the 16", or are they the same as the 14", or even the lt syncro.

my right front is worn and as the front suspension is all stripped down i`d like to change it now.

can they be reconditioned or is it even worth it and where to buy new at best price.

happy march everyone.

lee.

Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 08 at 22:18

Does it look like this, im no expert mind.

cj may have some.

They sell them on german ebay if you get really stuck.

item number 250219653764, there not cheap.

lee. View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 08 at 22:43
no that cant be the right part there`s no rust or blood on it
SyncroSpares UK View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

T3 Undertaker.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SyncroSpares UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 08 at 08:40
16" front outer with no front locker and all 14" front outer are the same,16" with front locker bigger so diferent,cj.
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 08 at 21:42

That auction is for the Syncro 14 and Syncro 16 without front difflock outer CV joint.

These are available from Baxter.

However, the Syncro 16 with difflock outers are another matter. They've been obsolete from VW for a while (you have to buy the complete driveshaft at £310 plus VAT!) and GKN have also stopped producing.

The Syncro 14 ones are 90mm around and the Syncro 16 items are 98mm around.

If you're unsure, measure the diameter of the driveshaft. Syncro 14 ones are 26mm and Syncro 16 ones are 28mm.

You can fit stock Syncro 14 driveshafts to a Syncro 16 with difflocks but not Syncro 14 outer CV joints to Syncro 16 shafts.

MG

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 08 at 10:55

So are we saying that with syncro front gearbox's that

1) 14" and 16" outer cv's without diff locks are the same.

2) 14" outer cv's with diff locks are different to 14" cv's without diff locks.

3) 16" outer cv's with diff lock are unique.

4) Are the 14" outer cvs with diff lock unique as well.

What about the Front inner cv joints, are they all the same for 16" and 14" syncro's.

Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 08 at 19:03

Ok maybe I didn't make it very clear.

Syncro 14 outer CV joints (in fact the whole driveshaft) are all the same... period!

Syncro 16 without difflocks use Syncro 14 driveshafts (including Syncro 14 outer CV joints!)

Syncro 16 WITH difflocks are totally different. The shaft and outer CV joint are different. The inner CV is the same as the Syncro 14.

MG

lee. View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 08 at 22:05

no front locker on my 16" so i guess thats good news for now.

mike i`ll give you a ring tomorrow.

thanks guys lee.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 08 at 22:01

Totally clear now thanks.Thumbs Up

Only one more question.

Why is the syncro 16 diff lock outer cv and drive shaft different to the 16 without diff lock. I assume the 16 without diff locks has the same suspension travel and steering travel as a 16 with diff locks.

Cant picture in me head why there different.

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 08 at 22:47
The 16" diff locker one is 98mm, the normal one is 90mm from memory
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 08 at 10:41

As the Americans say, "Size is everything!". They're stronger, that's it. I'm guessing that VW's thinking behind it is that the Syncro 16 was built for more extreme offroading so a twin difflock kitted out van would have a harder time offroad.

Also the 16 came with lower gearing so more torque could be transmitted through the drivetrain in G.

I'll be fitting a set of 6.16s to the Sika and Syncro 16 difflock front driveshafts to help take the pounding.

MG

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 08 at 21:31

I see, makes sense know.

6.16s.  Secret squirrel stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply