The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to change T5 Auto Gearbox Oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 18 at 11:48
Have been having problems of the auto thumping into Drive, on first selection, the last 1500km or so, so have done another partial oil change and filter.
At 160K now, so only 23K since last. Details here,

Oil didn't look real flash when inspected, and the sump pan had some rubber type soft particles.
First pic, removed oil on left, new on right

Gearbox may be going in shortly for full dismantle and rebuild

Edited by Rebuild - 05 Oct 18 at 11:58
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 18 at 04:08
Gearbox is fixed.
K1 clutch clearances over spec and seals damaged, causing the thumping.

Anyway, all fixed.Dave at Automatics of Marion (Adelaide) did his various modifications that he does for these, and some other stuff (K1 piston and friction fibres replaced, new more reliable small can solenoids, air cooler). Refilled with my choice of Penrite ATF FS. All up $3500 AUish.
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 18 at 21:02
Another great post Rebuild. Clap  Since we have now lost the separate modifications board (due to the fact that it's been like a graveyard around here for the last few years) I'm keen to put all of the how to do's and fixes in one findable place.  I am gradually collecting all of the links to those threads but there are 350 + other threads to look through to find them.  I need to check that all the links work and are in some kind of order.  There are some good threads written by others but it is looking embarrassingly like the the Rebuild & T5 TDI show so far.  I don't really care as long as we preserve all the work that has been done so far.  It won't be up for a while but I will try and get it made a sticky as Greg has suggested.

I don't think anything is lost (apart from pictures that have been photobucketed) it's just  question of some organising.  I'm quite enjoying reading the old stuff dating back a decade or more. Smile

Anyway, if you (or anyone else) has words/pic for any jobs that you have done but not posted about, post 'em up and we can build up our manual. Clap

Edited by T5 TDI - 23 Nov 18 at 21:06
2004 2.5 174
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 19 at 10:43
Fantastic account Alonline, thank you very much :o)

You wrote: -

Lightly cracked the gearbox drain,5mm key.Unscrewed fully.Oil poured out quite significantly for a bit, was not expecting this as i thought it would only weep.Gearbox must have been overfilled from factory.Also angle i had vehicle at should also have ensured no draining either.

Waited till oil only weeping.Turned engine off.

Drain level tube up inside the sump drain can be removed with 5mm allen key.The tube is only plastic, so make sure the key is seated fully.

Drain the rest of the oil 

How much oil did you get out when you 
"Drain the rest of the oil " please?

Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 19 at 21:22
Originally posted by Rebuild Rebuild wrote:

Collected used oil and came out to about 3.5L.

from my OP

Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 19 at 12:15

Collected used oil and came out to about 3.5L.

from my OP

Thank you Steve.

Have you included the oil that came out 
before you took the "Drain Level Tube" out 
in the 3.5L please?

If so please would you guestimate
how much oil came out 
after you took the drain level tube out please?

Or, if you prefer, how much came out
before you took the drain level tube out please?

I'm thinking about simply draining
via the drain level tube,
and then topping up again.

After all, half a loaf is better than no loaf.
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 19 at 13:55
how much oil came out after i took the drain level tube out? about 3.5L
before? not much, can't remember.It was a while ago

The auto holds around 7 litres. On a drain and refill as above you will only remove about half the oil.Thus the 3.5L collected.The rest stays in the torque converter/pump

It is quite simple to check the level. With the engine running, and gearbox up to temp, and the vehicle on level ground, you remove the gearbox sump plug.Because of the inner drain tube, nothing or almost nothing should drip out, if the level is correct.

I don't advise doing a cold drain and refill, guessing the amount to replace, but it is up to you.
If you simply replace what comes out, should be ok  (providing the level is correct to begin with).
I would also strongly advise changing the internal filter, especially if you have a few miles on.They do block up, which can cause big problems.

Edited by Rebuild - 30 Dec 19 at 14:00
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 19 at 14:07
Thank you very much Steve.
So, the level tube lets about
half the oil out.

My box was replaced short while ago.
I doubt the car will get to the mileage
that requires the filter changing
in my ownership.

Replacing half the oil each year
seems reasonably easy 
bit of conscience banking.
Or whatever you wish to call it.

What do you reckon please?

Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 19 at 22:44
Yes, that is my plan still, after the repair work, although i will be shortening the intervals now to around 40-50K km.
And it is still better than VW's "sealed for life" rubbish
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 20 at 11:53
Thanks Steve :o)

If I can be a bit tongue in cheek,
I think VW's "Sealed for life" statement
is pretty accurate.

I translate it as saying summat like,
"Your box will go a knacker early on
because you can't service it."
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 20 at 08:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12