The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Useful threads.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDynamat in yer Doors?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 10 at 11:05
Hi, i read the message this very use full information.  i have used stuff Monsho has mentioned in several past cars and about to fit it in the bus too. Works a treat! thank you.SleepySleepySleepy
Globbits View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 10 at 11:26
Wow - thread from the dead! Big smile

Sorry for having disappeared from this post for so long. I haven't forgotten about it, but have had two engine conversions and a transmission swap to do in the meantime. All good though - I'm now rockin' with an AAZ engine and 5speed manual trans. But the engine noise is even worse now!  Cry

In the end, I spoke with the guys at CarAudioDirect about how to deal with the van noise and have decided to go mad - in for a penny, in for a pound and all that. So I have a wadge of stuff on order with them at the moment. It's due in a week or so. So, when that arrives there will be lots of posts on here about the install. I'll also try and get some volume level tests done, just to be able to measure the improvement empirically

Give me a couple of weeks and I'll give you an update Wink

Richard
Myrtle the wonderbus: Out with the AAZ, in with the SVX!
RODEO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 10 at 12:04
Lots of good info in this thread. Have used the flash band in other front engined vans over the years,then just panelled them out. Im doing my first vw now,and wondering apart from the flashband on inside of the panels ,what is the silver tape  over the panel holes I see in some interior build threads,and is there anything else used in the voids behind this? Whats the best insulation for the floor in the rear?  
        Thanks.........

Edited by RODEO - 02 May 10 at 12:17
strangely brown View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 10 at 19:54
Just finished flash banding mine curteousy of B&Q, when i shut them now "they sound just like a Golf".

Mr. Brown
strangely brown (colonial cousin)
murdoch View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 10 at 08:17
me too Big smile, did the wheel tubs aswell and recarpeted over the top, been off recovering from knee ops, so i've been trying to  find things to do standing up. hopefully get the all clear to drive from the doc tomorrow, then i can find out if it makes a difference
murdoch
86ClubJoker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 10 at 22:24
So Richard, Globbits, what's the news?

What did you order?
Nev View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 10 at 23:54
I started to sound deaden me wagon today, I used Edead, looks pretty much the same as screw fix's flashing roll stuff Elvis used. I've insulated the van with 25mm celotex I have left a gap between the celotex and the panels for air to pass, I have use some posh silver type bubble wrap looking stuff to insulate the main floor area. I plan to use 4mm ply for my door cards lined in 2mm foam which I'm going to cover with my 'at no cost' crushed leather £300 a hide (ask no questions!!)
I'm thinking about doing something with walnut to create some speaker pods like the ones in Peet's thread. Not too sure yet but I'm still into 1st fix phase of the van so I'll let ya know.

I aint got the money for a full on stereo system at the min but planning on having one, so I'm going to run all the appropriate cables, I was wondering if someone could help me figure out a good speaker set up, as I know shit about what will sound good in a T3. Wanted a component system rather than 6x9's, a small sub and amp or amps to suit. I was curious to know if I needed some kind of trunking to get speaker cable in my doors, as its an early panel van there isn't anything there at the min.

Edited by Nev - 14 Jun 10 at 23:54
A fool and his money are easily parted! Especially when the fool owns a T3
Mike_ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 10 at 12:18
Have a chat and listen to mine when you pick up the cable - it's only half finished but sounds pretty decent, got some back of a fag packet sketches for some nice speaker pods with built in door bins as well, should be pretty easy to make from some 6,9 and 18mm mdf.
Nev View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 10 at 08:00
Just to add to this, I recently used Siaklfex or similar product, to stick batterns to the ceiling of the van, I couldn't believe the sound deadening qualities of the stuff used with wood. I want to.try 3mm mdf strips siaklfxed to my front doors. It's far better than any e dead or flashing tape.

Edited by Nev - 14 Jul 10 at 08:09
A fool and his money are easily parted! Especially when the fool owns a T3
HarryMann View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 11 at 20:16
Just for anyone reading this thread today (2011 onwards)...

This page 1 statement:

Quote What Dynamat et al does NOT do is reduce the amount of noise being passed to the outside world

If you want to do that, you need to increase the sound-absorption of each panel - which generally means either sticking egg-trays over the inside of every panel or covering all Dynamatted areas in self-adhesive foam. NOT advisable, as this will increase the moisture retention in our precious busses.

is not strictly true.
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 11 at 22:07
why not?
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

HarryMann View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 11 at 22:41
It'd be the other way a round... if at all.

Mass and stiffness that'd stop noise travelling through and outside, not the anechoic effect of some pimply egg boxes or soft foam. That'd help stop it reflecting 'inside' the door well.

It might also damp some of the mid & esp. higher frequency stuff from going through, if done really well, but as well all know, what matters (and gets outside to annoy the fcuk out of peeps of my vintage) is the high energy stuff, and the lower the frequency, the more the energy, on a logarithmic scale. Only mass and stiffness stops that...

NB. There are a few generalisations and possibly some black & white statements that should be slightly grey even in that, but fundamentally I'd defend that viewpoint

Edited by HarryMann - 13 May 11 at 01:08
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 11 at 13:35
its in english but not as i know it Confused
skysurfin09 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 11 at 12:41
  What a really informative thread this is. I'm at the stage now where I'm looking to install sound deadening material and having looked at what was on offer and the price of [Dynomat] I was hoping for some tried and tested alternatives and methods. Many thanks, my 2.1'G' Microbus has been stripped internally and had new rear arches etal fitted. I've an Alpine head unit which handles both CD's, cassettes and my iPod. The speakers are 2x 6x9s Infinitys [Front] and 2x 6x9s Alpines at the sides [middle]. Based on this thread I intend to fit a sub under rear seating.  Thanks again RobSmile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234