Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10" rims..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
Soft Southern Shite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10" rims..
    Posted: 04 Feb 08 at 19:40

Will these fit at the rear end? The ET is 58 (25mm spacer/adaptor?) but the width seems HUGE (and scary!) to me, i really like the style but would i need a new hinge? Has anyone fitted em yet, if so anyone got a piccy? Not that i cann afford em jus now but ya need a plan...

Oh and thanx to Steve now...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-porsche-997-996-18-alloy-wheel s-and-tyres_W0QQitemZ280197990772QQihZ018QQcategoryZ10408QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by peet
Firefighter twisted Firefighter...
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 08 at 20:08

Well while i'm here...

My old Multivan had Porsche 10X18's(ET54)fitted with 32mm adaptors and the sliding door hinge had to be extended 46mm to clear the wheel/tyre.

Mike Ghia had 10's on his Bluestar as well and he didn't extend the hinge but looking at those wheels on eBay i recon you'd have issues with the slider catching the spokes.

Mike's Bluestar with loads of pics of 10X18's fiited.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13946& amp;KW=ghia

peet View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Soft Southern Shite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 08 at 21:01

Those were my idel wheels til i saw em on Mikes van.. esp as they're going on my Blustar Pop!

Not too keen on doing a hinge either as it's bound to go wrong for me somewhere every thing else has with this van!!

How many styles have you seen of Porsche 18"s have you seen Steve, any u like?? I did want 17" Classics (they just look 'right') then i saw a set  go for ludicris money on ebay! Then i spyed the Pentas n i loved em! I was even contemplating on trying to get me 1 set of 4 then try and get a pair of front wheels (or singley!) so i get a set of 4 8" rims! 

Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 08 at 21:15

When I ran the 18s on the Bluestar with 285's, the door did interfere with the tyre but as the tyre was wide enough to protect the wheel. When I fitted 275's I had to do the sliding door mod to clear the wheel. It took me half a day and wasn't too hard. Just take your time.

I did machine up some spacers specifically to get the wheels as far in as possible, I think I ended up with 15mm spacers (can't remember now!) and the adaptors which were 23mm I think so 38mm away from 65mm offset of the wheels leaves a 27mm offset overall.

MG

peet View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Soft Southern Shite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 08 at 22:11

The ET of the ones i have in mind is 58 an i have seen them with tyres ranging from 265-295. There was somebody selling the extended hinges on here a while ago maybe if i buy one then i'll go for it!

Shame that you had to sell that one Mike, I really enjoyed reading your 'fun' times with it and was impressed with how well u refinished it. Hoping that mine will be as good looking when finished... engine aint looking bad (I've had a lot of 'fun' sorting that!) n now hoping to get on with the rest of it..

(work done by Welshfalia)

Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 08 at 22:22

The biggest work on the sliding door extension is on moving the bracket mounting point further back and creating enough space for it behind the runner.

The extended hinge is the easy part as long as you can weld well.

I miss the Bluestar too, great van with great memories.

MG

peet View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Soft Southern Shite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 08 at 22:43

Stil u got a few more vans to play with...

Thanx for the tips with the hinge - i cant weld! So i'd buy one, i had an idea with the bracket when i saw what was involved but i'll wait n see if i have to do it..

shapey View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shapey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 08 at 22:47
and i thought my new 7.5's looked wide!
 Post Reply Post Reply