The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

16" arches and possibly a new world recor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16" arches and possibly a new world recor
    Posted: 22 Jan 08 at 21:59

ok question first.

if i break the little bolts holding the arches on can they be fixed easily or had i better not break them.

as for the world record surely 3.5 hours to strip a front hub and bottom arm must be a record. i thought i`d get it done in an hour but it took more than an hour to get the bottom shock bolt out.

how siezed........................................very

once thats done i have the other side to look forward to.

Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 08 at 23:57

Lee,

You got it in one, break the studs off and there's not much to re attach them with. If you take your time, lots of WD40 and really take your time. There are ways around fitting them back on, drilling extra holes in the metal arch so that you can then use self tapping screws from the inside of the arch and screw into the trim. The other is to just bond them back on. None are ever going to be as neat as the original system.

Front suspension arms can be a nightmare. I spent as long if not longer getting one front arm off my 16 as the bottom bolt actually sheared off leaving the majority of the bolt in situ. I had to remove the shocker and arm together and then spent several hours in the workshop cut either side of the shocker the remove it and then drilled out the remains of the bolt from the arm. After all that, when I pressed out the bottom balljoint, the arm split as the balljoint moved and I had to throw the arm away afterall! Grrrr... CJ came to the rescue with another bottom arm.

When you re-assemble, use lots of coppergrease on everything, then atleast you know it'll come apart again!

Good luck.

MG

lee. View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 08 at 01:23

mike sounds like you had a bigger nightmare than me, so far i`ve only broken the left rollbar link so not so bad.

going to get everything i pull off steamed and painted and greased up before going back on.

fingers crossed for the other side.

SyncroSpares UK View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

T3 Undertaker.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SyncroSpares UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 08 at 08:37
try cutting these things up for a living,snot easy,cj.
rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 08 at 18:24
Originally posted by SyncroSpares UK SyncroSpares UK wrote:

try cutting these things up for a living,snot easy,cj.

Mine came apart in my hands!!!
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
 Post Reply Post Reply