The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VW OE Alloys

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VW OE Alloys
    Posted: 20 Jan 08 at 23:10
The VW alloy is 6J and correct tyre is 205 x 14. Will it fit in the under slung spare wheel carrier given the extra width?  No point in buying one if it will not fit.
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 08 at 06:12
Yes.
AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 08 at 11:31
Many thanks, will look out for one!
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 08 at 13:39

NOTE- I had a bit of bother with this size of tyre in the spare wheel carrier. It fits no probs, so don`t worry about that. The problem I had/found later was that it was pressing against the plastic fan shroud which deformed JUST enough for the fan to rub against it when it came on in a traffic jam one day, making a horrendous racket  Scared the crap outa me at the time as I thought something serious had occured ! Stopped as quick as it started so I didn`t realise what it was until later. After a few more rough roads and bouncing about (Ireland) the tyre had deformed the shroud enough for it to stop the fan running when the temp climbed the next time we got stuck in traffic, and the van boiled up  Got home anyway, with no more probs.

Had a look underneath as I thought the fan motor was the problem, first the bad noise, then the non-running so I presumed it had burnt out. After dropping the spare wheel to get at the fan I found the deformed plastic shroud was the problem, the fan wouldn`t spin past it. Using a hot air gun I warmed the housing and pulled it straight while allowing it to cool, so it stayed back in its original shape and the fan then worked fine.

THE FIX- I used a stack of washers about 3/4" thick in between the wheel carrier fixing BOLT and where it bolts into underneath the front crossmember. This spaced the wheel just lower enough for the problem to go away.  looks like the standard size skinny tyre doesn`t present any probs, but the larger size MAY just be too much for the clearance available.

Sunny Lancs
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 08 at 13:56
205/70/14 tyres are VW standard fitment so clearance shouldn't be an issue....if for some strange reason contact is made with the fan housing,as mentioned above,use the spacer method or fit a 185R 14 tyre.
AngeloEvs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngeloEvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 08 at 11:33
Many thanks Joker Club and Steve, will carry out the mod and also nice to know that I can fit my almost new 185 x 14's from the steels to the alloys. I wasn't sure that you could that. I assume that doing the latter will slightly reduce the wheel/tyre diameter and MPH per 1000 revs. Would it be OK to fit 205 x 80 x14's at a later stage to increase the MPH per 1000 revs?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 08 at 20:11

Had the spare wheel out of its carrier again today while plumbing the Baxter big oil cooler kit. Noticed that the fan housing problem has returned   Not as bad an interference as before but enough for it to make a racket if the fan comes on.

Is this just my `van, or has anyone else come across it?? I`ve put a bigger spacer in for now, but I`m struggling to get the safety latch to hook onto the carrier when slamming it up ( )  Looks like I`ll have to downsize to the 185 tyre to solve this one, pressed carrier pan looks OK, not deformed, took it right off and it`s all good, other option is to let the tyre down  and blow it up if I ever need it when I get a puncture

Sunny Lancs
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 08 at 20:12
Never had a problem with this myself.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 08 at 20:16
Maybe I shouldn`t have blown that spare wheel up to 3 million psi
Sunny Lancs
 Post Reply Post Reply