The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel sticks out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASH_54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel sticks out
    Posted: 22 Dec 07 at 13:23
Fitted my wheels and noticed that the front offside wheel stick out beyond the arch. All the wheels are 8x18 with the same 235-40-18 dunlop tyres, I have fitted them with 10mm spacers and they are et35.

The only thing I can think of is that the camber is way out on the one side, tilting the top of the wheel outwards.

I have recently lowered the van with 50mm avo springs, but due to the westy lean, I was going to play about with one side to get it sitting level before getting the geometry set.

So is it posible that the camber is that far out on one side, or is it something else?
Westfalia Atlantic
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 07 at 14:59

I'd get the wheel alignment done and you'll probably find they're about right.

Is the rest of the suspension in good condition? balljoints, track rod ends, radius rod bushes etc? You really need to have everything in tip-top condition and then get the 4 wheel alignment done.

MG

lee. View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 07 at 23:51

if you didn`t have a problem with the old wheels i`d suggest swapping wheels and spacers around to see if the fault moves to the other side with one of them.

you may have one odd wheel or a thicker spacer.

failing that you can get quite accurate measurements buy using string and measuring track wheelbase and diagonals

T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 07 at 14:03

from what ive found there also can be some vairation in shells.. dont forget these vans were built with only basic wheel options.. its quite common from what ive found that when you fit wheels that sit level with the body things dot line up perfect..

as has been said though get all the camber and tracking settings right...

things that may not show with stock skinny wheels  become more clear with uprated stuff..

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
Horney View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 07 at 16:51
Mine sit out further on one side and that has no spacers at all.

Nick

88 Atlas Grey MKII 8v see here and an 88 T3 Panel van
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 07 at 23:40

i seem to remember talking to g60steve about the same problem on a van .... couple of the vans ive had have been like that on the rear wheels..

my twin slider i had cleared the rear wheels (8.5x18 et 20) with no problems and the other side was realy tight on the door.. 

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
Schimke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 07 at 20:30

On one of my vans, the right side sits like your's, my other van is equal on both sides. No accident damage on either one.

Post Reply Post Reply