The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roll call time!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819
Poll Question: What’s under your bonnet?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
53 [11.70%]
68 [15.01%]
182 [40.18%]
150 [33.11%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubbadub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 14 at 09:38
58 plate California 174 se in reflex silver.
Paul, Sarah, Cleo n Erin - Bristol

85 Poptop Westy Jkr
Iceworx View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 14 at 22:53
Just got myself an 06 LWB 2.5 130, 1 owner, and full service history.

Now resides in sunny wilmslow.

T5 130 LWB 2.5 TDi - Becoming a camper
T5 Camper Build Blog
brooky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 15 at 14:40
13 plate T28 SWB with 20" (white.. eek) alloys and professional Camper King "Retro Trek" conversion with "Niagra Blue" bottom half. :P

Edited by brooky - 05 Oct 15 at 14:50
OggieJMX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OggieJMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 16 at 14:04
Hi

Black 2009 SWB Kombi 2.5 T32 from Plymuff
cgielectrical View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgielectrical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 17 at 07:57
Hi,

I've got a silver 04 plate Caravelle from Bristol, but it now lives in Melbourne Cool. (Multivan Comf.sw128 TDI6-s)

Had it for 6yrs & love it.
I'll think of something good to write here one day .....
sunny43.5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny43.5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 17 at 05:09
2004 silver T5 2.0 petrol manual 303000 kms on the clock . Cornubia Queensland Stinking Hot Australia !!

Edited by sunny43.5 - 20 Feb 17 at 05:10
jamieprang View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamieprang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 17 at 23:50
2011 T5.1 White Panel Van conversion project. Airdrie Scotland
Bethune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bethune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 20 at 20:41
Red 2004 174hp 225K LHD Multivan auto imported
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 21 at 07:53
So long  all !  

After 14 years and 190,000km of (mostly) faithful service I have sold my T5 transporter van.  I've hardly used it at all over the last 18 months - not because of COVID-19, I'm just not travelling away to dog agility trials like I used to. 

Thanks for all the advice & friendship over the years, and I wish everyone all the best for the future.

Take care,
Greg C

Edited by gregozedobe - 24 Feb 21 at 07:54
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 21 at 09:13
Oh no! That's shame Greg.  It's going to get even quieter around here. Cry   Thank you for all your time, knowledge and interest over all these years.  And good luck with whatever car you get to replace the van.  Thumbs Up  
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 21 at 09:44
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

Oh no! That's shame Greg.  It's going to get even quieter around here. Cry   Thank you for all your time, knowledge and interest over all these years.  And good luck with whatever car you get to replace the van.  Thumbs Up  

Thanks mate, you've been a great help over the years. Thumbs Up  

Looks like you will have to hold the T5 fort by yourself, but if you ever want to ask me anything please feel free to send me a private message anytime.

I won't be getting anything to replace the T5 as we already have 2 other cars that we like (Octavia vRS wagon & Golf R wagon), and there is only two humans in the household.  I will save a bit on rego (expensive for commercials where I live), insurance, roadside support and regular servicing for the T5.

Edited by gregozedobe - 25 Feb 21 at 09:45
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 21 at 11:43
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

but if you ever want to ask me anything please feel free to send me a private message anytime.

Likewise of course..   

Re cars,  I was idly thinking of swapping Mrs T5's little Yaris for something more interesting & VAG.  She fancies a hybrid because most of our journeys are very short but we need to be able to do a few long runs a year when we need to.  Bloody expensive though.  Ours won't be new that's for sure.  We have been looking at an A3 or Seat Leon hybrid 1.4 turbo.  0-60 mph (90 kph) in 6.5 seconds using the full petrol and electric mode. Must be close to your VRS. Big smile  Soon be flat if you kept that up though. LOL
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 21 at 23:44
Re cars,  I was idly thinking of swapping Mrs T5's little Yaris for something more interesting & VAG.  She fancies a hybrid because most of our journeys are very short but we need to be able to do a few long runs a year when we need to.  Bloody expensive though.  Ours won't be new that's for sure.  We have been looking at an A3 or Seat Leon hybrid 1.4 turbo.  0-60 mph (90 kph) in 6.5 seconds using the full petrol and electric mode. Must be close to your VRS. Big smile  Soon be flat if you kept that up though. LOL

Before you buy any VAG car with a DQ200 (dry clutch) DSG gearbox I suggest you do some serious research, they have a very poor reputation for reliability here in Oz.  

I like the idea of an electric car that you can charge up from your own rooftop solar panels, but range is an issue that needs to be considered carefully.  In the longer run I believe all governments will have to impose a road usage tax of some kind to make up for lost revenue from fuel taxes/levies/duty as petrol/diesel cars are phased out, so some of the current running costs advantages will be lost.

We do such low mileage on our current cars an electrc car is many years in the future for us (although I do like the sound of Tesla's "Ludicrous" performance from a standing start :)

A Leon hybrid might have been close to our vRS  ( if the vRS was still running the standard ECU tune) ;)

Edited by gregozedobe - 25 Feb 21 at 23:45
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 21 at 10:04
I might be wrong about this but I think the plug-in 1.4 turbo VAG hybrids all have a 6-speed wet clutch.  I know the wet clutches need a 40k mile fluid change but that wouldn't bother me.  Having said that I don't know if the reliability on the 6 speeds/wet clutch  is better.  The wet clutches are used only on the higher torque engines I have read.

I read on the tests that it doesn't feel as quick as the figures suggest and it is heavy of course. I think a hybrid only works if it suits exactly the type of driving you do which needs to be be lots of sub 20 mile trips with only occasional long trips.   It would be pointless if you constantly do long runs like say, a rep unless the tax advantages stacked up.  I reckon a chipped VRS must be much more fun!     
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 21 at 16:20
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

I might be wrong about this but I think the plug-in 1.4 turbo VAG hybrids all have a 6-speed wet clutch.  I know the wet clutches need a 40k mile fluid change but that wouldn't bother me.  Having said that I don't know if the reliability on the 6 speeds/wet clutch  is better.  The wet clutches are used only on the higher torque engines I have read.

I read on the tests that it doesn't feel as quick as the figures suggest and it is heavy of course. I think a hybrid only works if it suits exactly the type of driving you do which needs to be be lots of sub 20 mile trips with only occasional long trips.   It would be pointless if you constantly do long runs like say, a rep unless the tax advantages stacked up.  I reckon a chipped VRS must be much more fun!     

The DQ250 (6 speed) and DQ381 (7 speed) DSG's with wet clutches are much more reliable than the dry clutch DQ200, and you are right, the wet clutch 'boxes are generally fitted to the more torquey engines.

Even with a standard tune the petrol vRS are prone to spin the front wheels when taking off hard in the dry, add wet weather and/or a tune and your right foot needs to be well controlled or it's wheelspin city.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819