The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAAZ/JX Oil Breather?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: AAZ/JX Oil Breather?
    Posted: 01 Jun 07 at 07:35
Which one do i use for my conversion, anyone know?
scottyvanman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 07 at 08:17
Better to use aaz breather as this engine has a longer stroke and requires a better breather   Also use baffle in sump      SCOTTYSVANCENTRE  07825683477
HarryMann View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 07 at 10:19
I used the baffle plate/windage tray/combined sump-seal - about £24 from GSF and am happy so far as no return of 'running-on-oil problem'

Make sure you have a full good set of the longer 22mm set screws (AAZ's are 16mm) and that you have picked out, cleaned and chased out any bad threads in block/ally seal housings at either end. Some are blind threads, others are drilled right through along the sides of block... ditto, clean and check the threads for the two lateral bellhousing bolts. After loosely installing 'all' the sump set screws, nip the lateral bellhousing bolts up before starting to tighten up all the set screws. I lightly greased the block and sump faces so sump could move around nicely at this stage, not sure how wise as the gasket seems to bulge out of sides a bit, maybe intended to, but no leaks so far.

Also, prob. a good idea to make an oil separator for the cam-cover breather hose before it ducks off down to the turbo inlet hose... they do breathe quite heavily and can get a lot of oil being breathed back in (oil fumes OK, liquid oil maybe not!), or even leaking out of that joint (I think thats where its coming from )

Hope that helps...

Edited by HarryMann
Dubkopfeyellow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 07 at 22:15
Was told you couldn't use the windage tray?
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 07 at 14:13

You can't without modification, plus it's thicker so it spaces the sump away from the block, so if you really do decide you must fit it then you will need to enlarge the holes in the gearbox that the bellhousing to sump bolts pass through to take into account the sump is further away from the engine than it's designed to be.

Windage tray will need to be hacked to clear everything.

Some form of separate breather box from rocker cover and block is a good idea as they tend to churn oil up on right hand bends and ingest the oil making them uncontrollably set off with a nice smoke trail a'la red arrows!

HarryMann View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 07 at 15:43
Didn't need to hack mine for the AAZ of course... and whilst it did that running on oil without it, hasn't done it since - that might though be my  turbo bearing and seal rebuild helping.

Definitely worth doing that breather separator modification... they're terrors
MADMATT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

twin turbo taff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 07 at 03:32
have got the windage tray in mine it does hold off the smoke screen no oil in the sump problem,but it does not fix it completely and it will still do it if you try hard enough.thats why i put the engine in my pick up at 15deg that has also got a tray in and you can be very silly with that on right handers (roundabouts are lots of fun now)
HarryMann View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 07 at 10:02
Quote thats why i put the engine in my pick up at 15deg that has also got a tray in and you can be very silly with that on right handers (roundabouts are lots of fun now)

Have you a breather oil separator on that as well MadMatt?
MADMATT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

twin turbo taff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 07 at 00:07
on my van with engine on its side it breaths into a catch /breather tank but the engine oil pressure drops on long hard right handers.with engine upright it is not needed.

Edited by MADMATT
 Post Reply Post Reply