The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSleeping in a van while drunk?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sleeping in a van while drunk?
    Posted: 24 May 07 at 23:24

I am sure this will have a really straight forward answer but I am interested to know anyway.

If I sleep in the back of my van while drunk can I be done by the police (in control of the vehicle) due to the fact I will have my keys on my person.

Its just I visit friends in Edinburgh quite regularly and have slept in the back of my van:

1. To sleep somewhere seperate from my mates - I snore like a bugger

and 2 (more importantly) Look after my van so if some scrote wants to steal my van he will have an extra suprise as he breaks in.

You see I have slept in my van pissed as a fart parked on a side street. Could I get in trouble for this?

Sorry if this sounds ultra paranoid but I do not fancy being done for a stupid thing like this.

Kind Regards

Mute

A Special Kind of Freedom
Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 07 at 23:34

Yes you can get done the only way not to is not to be in possession of the vehicle keys, see below for the case

Peter Sheldrake, of Hatfield Peverel, Essex, who was found asleep in his van in a car park in 2001. He claimed that he had made attempts to arrange alternative transport home but was convicted at Colchester Magistrates’ Court of being in charge of the vehicle while unfit, and given 160 hours of community service. Sheldrake failed to convince the magistrates that he had not intended to drive the vehicle, and later complained that he should not have to prove his innocence.

Upholding the conviction, the House of Lords has ruled this month that the charge under the 1988 Road Traffic Act did not infringe the right to a fair trial provided for in Article 6(2) of the European Convention on Human Rights. There was in the charge no irrebuttable presumption of guilt, and defendants were given a reasonable scope to exonerate themselves. Lord Bingham of Cornhill ruled that the offence of being “in charge while unfit” did not require proof from the prosecution of an “intention to drive”. There were, he noted, many instances of legislation in which “Parliament has clearly intended to attach criminal consequences to proof of defined facts, irrespective of an individual’s state of mind”.

Strasbourg jurisprudence has also condoned such laws. In a 1988 decision it was noted that the contracting states could “penalise a simple or objective fact, as such, irrespective of whether it results from criminal intent or from negligence”. Lord Bingham explained that in cases such as those of “being in charge of a vehicle while unfit”, the task of the court was to “assess whether a burden enacted by Parliament unjustifiably infringes the presumption of innocence”. In this case, bearing in mind the seriousness of the wrong to be controlled, and the opportunity of the defendant to rebut the charge (by showing that there was no likelihood of his driving while drunk), the Act was proportionate to the mischief to be addressed. Lord Bingham noted that a person in charge of a car when unfit would be expected to hand the keys to someone else or stay well away from his vehicle.

Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
Mutesinger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 07 at 00:05

I suspected that this would be the case!!! (bugger)

Truth be told I have only slept while drunk once and I will certainly not be doing it again.

If I am on a campsite surely this rule does not follow.

If I go to the local pub and then come back to sleep in my van could I still be done?

Mute

PS: thanks spikey for the quick response

A Special Kind of Freedom
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 07 at 00:20

The police have to prove an intention to drive (in charge of vehicle while drunk)

If you are booked into a campsite for the night and are set up for a nights stay then they would have no chance of proving an intention to drive while drunk

One way round sleeping on the highway might be to fit a device to immobilize the van like a wheel clamp of steering wheel lock and give you mates the key till you are sober then you could back up your claim that you had no intention of driving, but personally I would still be very wary about do it on the highway

Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
TwoFish View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 07 at 14:50

I would NEVER drink and drive, but (like many windsurfers) I do sleep in the back of the van after drinking.

The Road Traffic Act 1988 says:

5.—(1) If a person—

(a) drives or attempts to drive a motor vehicle on a road or other public place, or
     (b) is in charge of a motor vehicle on a road or other public place,

after consuming so much alcohol that the proportion of it in his breath, blood or urine exceeds the prescribed limit he is guilty of an offence.

(2) It is a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1)(b) above to prove that at the time he is alleged to have committed the offence the circumstances were such that there was no likelihood of his driving the vehicle whilst the proportion of alcohol in his breath, blood or urine remained likely to exceed the prescribed limit.

I therefore take care to make it clear that no reasonable person could conclude there was any likelihood of me driving the vehicle, including (before setting off to the pub):

Fixing a 'ThermoMat' across the windscreen.
Locking the pedals with a ClutchClaw
Setting out my bedding in the back of the van (so evidencing intention to sleep)
Entering the van by the rear side door
Never putting the keys near the ignition (I avoided electric windows for that reason)

Nevertheless I recognise that the burden of proof still rests with me. For that reason I also avoid getting 'insensibly' drunk such that it could reasonably be argued I might take leave of my senses, make the van driveable and then drive.

I'd be interested in others' thoughts on this.

Horney View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 07 at 14:58

My T3 has a different key for the ignition than the doors. Therefore I remove the ignition key and crook lock key, put the crook lock on and place the keys in a hidding place.

Mr plod tackles me and I tell him a mate has my ignition key and crook lock key and I only have keys for the doors so I can't drive it. If the wife is with me I give her the keys because she doesn't drink.

Nick

88 Atlas Grey MKII 8v see here and an 88 T3 Panel van
TwoFish View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 07 at 16:35
Originally posted by Mr Hedgehog Mr Hedgehog wrote:

The police have to prove an intention to drive (in charge of vehicle while drunk)

I don't believe they do. The way the law reads, you are guilty of an offence unless you can prove that there was no likelihood of your driving. The burden of proof is yours.

Originally posted by Mr Hedgehog Mr Hedgehog wrote:

One way round sleeping on the highway might be to fit a device to immobilize the van like a wheel clamp of steering wheel lock and give you mates the key till you are sober then you could back up your claim that you had no intention of driving,

That seems an excellent defence. If you have done that, it would seem that nevermind there being no likelihood of your driving, there is no possibility of your driving. It might also mean that you could not be said to be 'in charge' of the vehicle, so may transfer the burden of proof back to the police, but that view is not based on any evidence / precedent I've seen.

Edited by TwoFish
Fifty pence View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 07 at 20:53

Great thread with good facts and solutions.

I've NEVER drunk drove in 20 years of driving, and it has never been my intention to either.

HOWEVER.

When I was 18 I remember going to a party one night, again with no intention of driving home, getting " bladder ed " and sleeping in the car on the side of the road, WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING to keep warm !!!.

Talk about dodgy.

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 07 at 21:17
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 07 at 22:57

Surely some good sense would prevail?

I'm often camping in the van after a few sherbets.  If I'm actually in bed, under the duvet, with the front passenger seat swivelled, the engine cold and a load of bags on the driver's seat, in the middle of the night, no reasonable interpretation of the circumstances would say that I was in charge of the vehicle and/or intended to drive it or had just driven it and somehow dived into the back and under the covers???

Maybe I could lock the "clutch claw" onto the pedals in future just to be sure? 

ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 07 at 12:22
Originally posted by TwoFish TwoFish wrote:

[QUOTE=Mr Hedgehog]

I don't believe they do. The way the law reads, you are guilty of an offence unless you can prove that there was no likelihood of your driving. The burden of proof is yours.

Hi Twofish, I was trying to express the that being drunk in a vehicle with the keys is proof enough for the police to prosecute

The police will normally ask you if you have the keys before they arrest you

But if you claim not to have the keys they will often leave you alone but I stick to the simple rule of not mixing drink and vehicles at all,

As just like Fifty my driving licence is holy to me Smile

Post Reply Post Reply