The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProtector bars and sump guards etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protector bars and sump guards etc.
    Posted: 23 May 07 at 14:27
Been rumaging around my newly aquired syncro and noticed the guard that runs down the side of the propshaft is really bent - looks like someone tried to use it as a jacking point ?

Anyway - got another one of a scrapper but I wouldn't mind getting all of the protection bits off and getting them painted and refitted. The question is is the cradle under the engine that the sump guard bolts to structural in any way? I am assuming that the following bits are removable but not sure if any parts are supporting anything else before I take them off and then use the Bus.

2 side rails that protect the prop.
front & rear guards
rear cradle (not horizontal engine brace)
front cradle ? ( not sure if this is removable as I haven't got that far on my back !!)

Any guidance would be appreciated
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 07 at 20:13

Hi Herb,

The protection bars which run either side of the propshaft are removable but the bolts which hold it on will probably be seized in place.

Up front the bars bolt onto the front subframe with 2 M10 bolts and nut passing through 2 spacing tubes. The problem is usually that the bolt has seized into the tube and the only way out is to cut through the bolts at either side of the bars, that said they may come undone!

At the back, the bars have 4 bolts which hold them in position and these 4 bolts also hold the front of the engine protection cage in place. The top 2 are bolts and nuts and the lower 2 are bolts and captive nuts so spend more time trying to get the lower ones out intact.

At the back of the engine protection cage depending on whether it's Petrol or Diesel (you don't mention), on the Diesel there are 2 bolts and nuts from the cage to the engine support bars and one the Petrol 2 of the bolts and nuts which connect the engine bar to the engine. You should be able to remove these without the engine dropping on you .

Up front the subframe is itself the protection for the front diff and infront of that is either a bash plate or spare wheel carrier bash plate. You can unbolt either and have them painted up. If you're going out and out offroading then the bash plate allows more ground clearance, if it's an everyday vehicle then the spare wheel carrier has an obvious advantage .

Please post some pics of your syncro

MG

nic View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 07 at 09:28
Thanks for your very comprehensive answer Ghia,

It sounds like everything that I want to take off can come off and leave the vehicle still usable.

At the mo the spare wheel is on the back, is it possible to put it back under the front as I don't intend on doing any off-roading

Will see about posting some pictures if you promise not to laugh - its not everyones idea of a Syncro camper !
nic View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 07 at 09:42
Photos as requested - not my photos, those of the guy I bought it off, will be taking my own at the weekend but these will do for the moment - remember no sniggering at the back !

Edited by Herbie_lives
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 07 at 22:46

Wow certainley not what I was expecting .

It depends on what setup you have at the front. There are 2 different types of spare wheel carrier for the syncro, a fairly flimsey 2WD type carrier and the very robust frame which you could jack the van up on. Both need brackets on the subframe whcih can be added without too many problems.

A few pics of under the front would soon tell us.

How does it drive? if it rolls a bit with the extra weight up top, it is possible to fit a rear anti-roll bar as was fitted to ambulances. I think Baxter may have one kicking around somewhere.

MG

amulet View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 07 at 14:47

I really like your van - be interested to see pics of the inside to see how much more space you enjoy compared to the rest of us.

andrew

nic View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 07 at 16:41
Thanks Ghia will be rooting under the front end this weekend as I need to check out the linkage. Will post some photos when I have taken them.

Andrew - will post some piccies over the weekend - glad you like it !

Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 07 at 23:14

Not what i was expecting either, see why you wont be off roading.LOL

RHD as well, must have cost the last owner a fortune to convert it.Clap

vw jon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 07 at 13:05
quite a different type of syncro! i dont think i'd go off roading with it either! does it roll and sway as much as the standard 2wd conversions? is it petrol or diesel? cheers jon

LIFE?! It will be the death of me!!
 Post Reply Post Reply