The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIt broke down ..... again!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Topic: It broke down ..... again!
    Posted: 19 May 07 at 21:47

I was just overtaking a tractor (and a Sprinter driver of all people had flashed me to go first!) when all power went.  Clouds of black smoke billowed and it soon became a slow sooty T5 and tractor race.  Since I was towing my caravan and on the wrong side of the road I was pleased to eventually win.  I crawled to a stop in the first safe place I could and found that the bottom intercooler hose had blown off.  I had to take the coolant expansion tank off but I managed to get it back on and it stayed on for long enough to get me home so I'll book it in Monday.

I hate to sound like one of the "doom & gloom" merchants mentioned but what other conclusion can you come to about a van that can't do a thousand miles without going wrong?  I have already accepted VWs offer to contribute some money towards a fourth years warranty but what about next year?  Will it suddenly become reliable?  This is the 24th fault on this van (the latest being a new camshaft, a new clutch and flywheel and an EGR valve yet VW insist that it is not substandard!  The tally includes 5 recalls and now two potentially lethal breakdowns.

I bought the van intending to keep it for many years and eventually convert it to a camper, that's why I spec'ed it out well, but it has become a £20,000 millstone (well, £10,000 now). 

I love driving the thing, the engine and handling are fantastic but can I afford to keep it when I'm paying all the repair bills?        

2004 2.5 174
Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 07 at 22:24

In the words Rutger Hauer in Blade Runner the light that burns twice as bright last half as long,

This was actually a premonition about the 174 – 130 it means sell it and buy a 104 or 85 and live a long life in the slow lane WinkSmile

Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
Fifty pence View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 07 at 22:55

Really sorry to hear your news T5 TDI.

I know how you feel !!.

My mate's turbo has just gone on his out of warranty 130, and my mobile mechanic mate has just towed one to the dealer with a broken camshaft. ( again out of warranty ).

I expect, as the word spreads about second hand T5,s and their high running costs, it will affect the residual prices further.

Having said that, my old T5 is on the forecourt for £ 12795.00 plus vat !!. ( part ex,d it fir £ 9200.00 !! ).

Whats you next move mate ?.

Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 07 at 23:06

T5 TDI, sorry to haer of your aggro. All T5's are quite dear to run especially if you dial in the poor residuals on the 'up-spec' versions. Think 50's right and the word's out about reliability now and expensive 'cost-to-change' on resale. Also, it's definately true that the smaller engines are much more robust - quite the opposite of the T4 in fact..

We've been fairly lucky with our high spec 104; just some annoying creaks and rattles - build quality issues. But no engine/turbo or gaerbox/clutch problems at all. All the same we are considering a different make next time and giving VW a break for a while; maybe until the T6 shows.....

CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 06:10
Bad luck T5, and dont worry about being a  doom and gloom merchant. If whoever was surprised at the doom and gloom cares to go to any vw dealer and quote my reg no FE04 VXC, their computer will bring up a list of 42 days of warranty work on mine. Better still ask a mechanic, then you wont be surprised any more. Anyway, are you still on the original gearbox, T5??
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 09:08

Original gearbox and original turbo.  That makes mine a good one then!!

It is a really nice van to drive.  I'll keep it until the warranty runs out and decide then.  If it doesn't settle down I'm tempted to go back to a T4, all I ever did on my 102 T4 was replace the timing belts and normal servicing.  Or if Fifty's new van turns out good I might abandon VW altogether.  I can't believe I'm saying that but that is how I feel.

The whole point of buying a T5 for me was the engine (and having a nice new reliable vehicle). Without those I might as well have stuck with the T4.       

2004 2.5 174
Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 10:54

Just looking around at what's new elsewhere - thought I'd take a look at the Peugeot** website as we've heard good things about the new larger Expert range. They look very good actually but I'm amazed how expensive they are!! Maybe they'll be some big discounts around?

http://www.peugeot.co.uk/ppp/cgi-bin/ppkfcwebuk/ppplp1101_02 .jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0102505191.1179654494@@@@&BV_Engin eID=cccdaddkmhdikgicefecfgmdfgodffk.0&_strLCDV=2pg91& ;_strModeHTML=1

Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 12:29
Originally posted by Studioman Studioman wrote:

Just looking around at what's new elsewhere - thought I'd take a look at the Peugeot** website as we've heard good things about the new larger Expert range. They look very good actually but I'm amazed how expensive they are!! Maybe they'll be some big discounts around?

I could be wrong but I think these are based on the 807 (and it's Fiat & french filth equiv) and built in the same plant.

If so then beware, as the 807 is a nightmare (especially the electrics) always coming out near the bottom of any reliability survey.

gason View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 07 at 13:48
sorry to hear your aggro VW aint doing themselves any favours.i hope you
get it sorted to your satisfaction
 Post Reply Post Reply