FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLoss of oil pressure - knocking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loss of oil pressure - knocking
    Posted: 15 May 07 at 20:01
Having a bad few weeks, first knocked off my bike by a dog running across the road and me hitting it, then yesterday on the motorway oil light comes on and I have a knocking sound, I found the problem straight away (vacuum generator loose) and oil pressure is now good and the engine runs very well with no difference in power.

Right, its a 1.9 diesel (1Y Engine) for starters, as stated there is a knock present both idleling, underload and offload, it seems to be from one source, my initial thought was one of the small ends has had it.

Pulled off the sump and removed the injectors and she turns over with no knock present, then took off each of the big ends, the bearings look ok and I cannot feel any play evident on the small end between the conrod and gudgeon pin - would I normally be able to feel any play if they were shot?

Took off each of the camshaft journals then and again nothing major evident, the cam lobes themselves look good and each of the followers seem ok, the 1y engine has hydraulic tappets which i'm not too sure about so could one of these be causing the tapping or knocking?

Next thing i'm going to do tomorrow is stick the injectors back in and turn it over with compression and see if that highlights anything.

Anybody got any other suggestions or thoughts?

Kerr
 Post Reply Post Reply