Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEuropean Travel Insurance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: European Travel Insurance
    Posted: 26 Apr 07 at 00:23
Hello

My wife and I plan to travel around Europe - especially Eastern Europe for the next three months.

We had planned to buy a vw LHD T3 poptop in Germany and drive on from there but am getting a headache trying to sort it out. Now think that it is impossible.

Does anyone know how to insure the van either here or in germany?

any ideas would be great

thanks
alex.
dub dub campers View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 07 at 08:11

Several ways of doing this, best for you would be: Once you buy a van in germany if intend to drive it you will need to get export plates, you can get export plates to cover you for a time period 14 days up to 6 months, and to cover all of europe or different countries, this will include insurance (blanket cover) for your travelling around, 6 months is the maximum time you can buy these plates for, you need to have passport and van docs including tuv (german mot) this will need to have at least 6 months left. every major town has a town hall where you buy the export plates? do you know where you will be buying a van from? and do you speak German,  Send me a personal message and i can forword on 3 contacts i have in Germany 1 in the North and 1 in the South and 1 in the East, they can find suitable vans for you and arrange the plates.

Stuart.

dub dub
Stuart Roper,
Lampeter, Mid Wales
07966 270767,
dubdubcampers@aol.com
alexandkirsten View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 07 at 10:41
Thanks, thats really helpful. Do you know whether the insurance is third party or fully comp. I want to buy a T3 Westafalia pop top for around £4,000 - £5,000 but want at least TP fire and theft. All I seem to be able to get is thrird party just covering other vehicle??

Also will it affect getting green card?

Thanks again Alex.
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 07 at 18:09

with £4000 to £5000 you would be better of buying one over here, already uk registrated, tax and mot'd with a knowledge of the mechanics, as if you put that much money (not saying it's all you have) and you encounter a problem, German mechanics ain't cheap, you could end up spending a lot more? unless of course you are good with a spanner then it will just be parts you will need to track down. True vans are cheaper in Germany but the age of the vans you are looking at all encounter problems of some sort? I have bought 6 vans this year and 5 of the 6 have had to have new brake pipes, one van even burts a pipe on the mat rolling road, they all had current tuv (germany mot's) i don't think the mot's are the same country to country, For £5000 you can get a t4 california pop top, i know of a nice one in Hamburg, But back to your question, i have just text'd a friend in Germany and will forward on his reply, I have trade plates and trade insurance so Unsure of answer but will find out for you!

And what Green card do you need? I think the the old green card for insurance travel in europe is a thing of the past now as we have moved a lot further into the EU  !! Bring back Maggie

Edited by dub dub campers
dub dub
Stuart Roper,
Lampeter, Mid Wales
07966 270767,
dubdubcampers@aol.com
alexandkirsten View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 07 at 11:52
Thanks that's helpful. Think will look in England then.

The california in Hamburg, are you selling this? Have you any details of it?
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 07 at 12:23
Send us your email address and i can forward on the details, It is from my good friend who is a dealer, I have pictures and details i was going to buy myself in a few weeks when sold a van to raise the cash.
dub dub
Stuart Roper,
Lampeter, Mid Wales
07966 270767,
dubdubcampers@aol.com
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 07 at 15:04

Hi Alex,

In Answer to your original question, The insurance for europe blanket cover when you buy export plates is third party only, you would need an address in Germany to arrange Fully comprehensive insurance, which is for 1 year. Or what i have also found out is you can get uk insurance on a vehicles chassis number.

dub dub
Stuart Roper,
Lampeter, Mid Wales
07966 270767,
dubdubcampers@aol.com
mazz View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 07 at 01:04
you can get uk insurance but if the van has no UK mot its not legally covered you really need to have the vehicle Uk registered and MOTed as dub dub says ,i travel a lot in europe especially eastern europe believe me you want to know you are fully covered you also want to make sure your van is alarmed and secure ,T4 will be a much better bet for you too as they generally dont go wrong 

Edited by mazz
retrosteve View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 07 at 08:50

if you insure the van from a german address you are liable for the yearly specific taxes on that vehicle as well as the insurance... which works out at .....  a lot!

my bmw estate worked out at over 800 quid to keep registered and insured in germany ... and that was a diesel!

uk insurance will only cover you on the chassis number for 14 days or so .(enough time to uk register a vehicle).... and that 99% of the time is limited to uk use only...

german export plates  are limites to a specific time frame... up to 2 weeks i think is the max.. 

retrosteve is steve walker ..who also is www.eastfalia.com 01932 873493/ 07974579667- t3 westfalia sales/service/parts... surrey england - koln germany
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 07 at 13:38

German export plates are vaid from 14 days up to 6 months, I have personally arranged both.

And you can insure a van/vehicle for 1 year on the chassis number plate with tradewise

Edited by dub dub campers
dub dub
Stuart Roper,
Lampeter, Mid Wales
07966 270767,
dubdubcampers@aol.com
 Post Reply Post Reply