FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEngine swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine swap
    Posted: 18 Apr 07 at 01:32
I own a petrol LT28 from '82 and am halfway through sanding down for a respray and building a camper conversion for the rear. I'm pretty new to any kind of engine that isn't a Pinto, and am curious as to what kind of engine swaps have been managed with LTs in the past. I'm aware that the Porsche 924, Audi 100 and a certain Volvo have same/similar builds, but I'm looking for extra power to pull my van's new found weight, and the current 4-cylinder is weak enough as it is. Would I be correct if I said any engine can be fitted with enough fiddling? I'm eyeing a post-'94 LT TDI as a possibility for a diesel conversion, but have seen a few 5-speed 2.5l Volvo conversions that don't sound bad. I appreciate getting an LT to a reasonable speed is like pushing a sofa across a sandy beach, but not actually topping 44mph on the motorway can actually be quite frightening.

Many thanks for any help.

Edited by Tommy28
Jammin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 07 at 18:42
get a lt 50 2.4 6cyl turbo diesel. it's made to fit in the hole provided and produces 102 bhp cruises happily at 55-60 possibly more as you have a lt 28. I think they have higher gearing but would like to know for sure as my lt40 is v. low geared. Thinking about axle transplant
monkeyonboard View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 07 at 16:21
I am toying with the idae of an engine conversion too, mine is a 2 litre petrol with a high top. I am not too worried about top speed but struggling up hills is a pain. be interesting to here what is possible to do
LT's are the future
 Post Reply Post Reply