The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Westy interior light/radio mod.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robthedon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 11 at 00:11
Anyone done something similar on an early westy with ceramic fuses? Tried today but gave up when I removed all fuses and still the stereo and rear strip lights worked... maybe previous owner has done something odd with the wiring though.

Thanks
Rob Don

Managing Director, London Campers

T: 07985 991349

E: rob@londoncampers.co.uk

W: www.londoncampers.co.uk
martin25 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 11 at 18:57
i tryed to mod my very early 79 westy this baby hasnt even got the box behind the seat!!? it seems that some german has fitted a switch in the leisure battery box that allows all lights / radio to run off leasure when required
robthedon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robthedon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 11 at 21:00
Interesting. Where does the wire from said switch run to? I'd do something similar but no idea how to locate the right wire at the dashboard fuse box!
Rob Don

martin25 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 11 at 11:28
i,le try and suss it out and put some pics up but ive got the old nest of rag worms syndrome coming out the fuse box
robthedon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robthedon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 11 at 21:59
Yeah same here that's the problem! A wire colour would be great if you could get it, presume behind fuse box the aftermarket bit meets the original wire?
Rob Don

lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 11 at 14:09
just done mine, again slightly different. 1 red wire off back of plug led to connector with 3 wires branching off, lights, radio and ciggie lighter. cut the feed to this plug and joined it up with my wire from leisure battery
phelps69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phelps69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 17:54
Hi. I have been doing the wiring mod, trabsferring radio, lights and cigarette lighter to leisure battery. Cut the 2 red wires and run a 17amp (15 amp fuse) wire to the fuse box and joined them up. Radio and lights work, cigarette lighter doesn't

Any ideas?
1990 California - Masala Red
2008 S6
1996 Disco Muncha off roader
grm2507 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grm2507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 16 at 10:15
Sorry to jump in on such an old post but I've been a bit behind the times in getting this mod done.

Anyway recently I did the mod to my Atlantic 1.6TD JX - connected terminals B11 (cigarette lighter) and B12 (radio and interior lights) to a fused power feed from the leisure battery.  All works fine......I thought.

However, during a recent trip abroad I had lots of problems starting the vehicle after leaving it for a couple of nights - turned over and over, clouds of smoke and eventually started (luckily).  Once it had been running and is warm it runs and starts fine.  I'm guessing (until I can do some proper tests) that there's a possible problem with the glow plug circuit.

After a minor fix to the glow plug feed connection whilst I was away (it was pretty poor), the vehicle again started OK - until yesterday!

Then I noticed that I had turned off the cut-off switch for the aux battery - as I'm apt to do when parking up for longish periods.  I presume the PO had installed this or maybe it was from new.

My question is.....is there any way the aux battery being disconnected could affect the glow plug/starting circuit (I can't see anything from the wiring diagrams I've downloaded).  It may just have been that this was switched off when I was trying to start the vehicle whilst I was away - and by switching it on to get power to the interior fixed my problem (nothing to do with the glow plug feed wiring).

The plan today is to do a controlled starting test - with the aux battery connected - to see if things have improved.  After that I'll get the multimeter out and check the glow plug circuit is operating properly.
1987 Vanagon GL DJ 2.1 - Dove Blue Metallic
1991 Westfalia Atlantic JX 1.6TD - Alpine White

1991 Westfalia Atlantic JX 1.6TD (Pop-top) - Alpine White
jhobson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhobson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 17 at 19:35
Originally posted by grm2507 grm2507 wrote:

Anyway recently I did the mod to my Atlantic 1.6TD JX - connected terminals  B12 (radio and interior lights) to a fused power feed from the leisure battery.... I'm guessing (until I can do some proper tests) that there's a possible problem with the glow plug circuit.
I did mod last night (all except fitting new fuse - so left disconnected at battery for now) and found glow circuit not working afterwards :( 
My guess is I dislodged something while pulling out the fuse box (mine is not as neat as the Baxter pic). It could just coincidentally have failed because _something_ usually breaks when I look at the van.  I was too annoyed to debug so gave up and drank beer.

FYI my Altantic wiring is 'one short length of red wire from B12 to another connector block' (as per couple of other posters) which then connected up a number of wires (3 or 4 I think) so I don't think the Baxter 'wire going up door post' would have connected everything back up again. Other wires may be radio, lighter, some strange socket on dash, and vanity mirror light.

Edited by jhobson - 31 Jul 17 at 19:37
grm2507 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grm2507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 17 at 09:51
I eventually ruled out anything to do with the light/radio wiring modification having any effect on my starting.

Seems as though my glow plugs were knackered and I didn't help matters when I tried to start the vehicle whilst still connected via the mains hook-up (apparently this is not advised Unhappy).  The timing of the problem was just coincidental.

A new set of glow plugs and a fully charged battery and I was good to go.
1987 Vanagon GL DJ 2.1 - Dove Blue Metallic
1991 Westfalia Atlantic JX 1.6TD - Alpine White

1991 Westfalia Atlantic JX 1.6TD (Pop-top) - Alpine White
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234