Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gear Linkage Balls'n'Bellows

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gear Linkage Balls'n'Bellows
    Posted: 23 Feb 18 at 19:08
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

Edited by madra - 25 Mar 18 at 20:56
Lits View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 18 at 20:46

Hi I don't think that is the right ball, I am sure it's supposed to be differently shaped to allow for the bellows.

There is a front and back ball, think that might be the front ball you've got.

Edited by Lits - 23 Feb 18 at 21:03
Don't start what you can't finish!
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 18 at 21:03
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

Lits View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 18 at 21:26

Type in T3 gear bush on vw heritage Web page it shows 2 different types.

Lits View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 18 at 21:29

My preferred suppliers of bits are Brickwerks, fantastic service can't recommend them enough or vw heritage.
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 18 at 21:50

msabbasi View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msabbasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 18 at 01:13
While doing my gear linkage I ran into the exact same issue with the bellows/ball bush assembly as you have. When I went under the van to remove the worn assembly, I didn't find any bellows or remnants there off. So I went ahead and installed the assembly without the bellows. This is clearly not the way to go as dirt kicked up from the rear wheels will surely shorten the life of the bushes. So far the van is a non runner due to other issues so I have left the linkage as is. I was thinking of putting the two bellows from outside of the bush bracket and then squishing them close to the said bracket and then use a cable tie or jubilee clamp to keep the two in squished condition. Objective is to keep the dirt out. 
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 18 at 09:45

madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 18 at 13:07

msabbasi View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msabbasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 18 at 15:57
Just wanted to say that it seems perfectly fine if no bellows are used. Here is a picture from the Haynes Manual showing the ball bearing in question without bellows Wink

Edited by msabbasi - 10 Mar 18 at 16:22
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 18 at 16:22

Edited by madra - 25 Mar 18 at 20:52
msabbasi View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msabbasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 18 at 16:29
I had ordered both the small and larger balls. I thought I had ordered the wrong (small) one. But now that you have pointed out that the small one goes with the bellows, I will strip down my van's linkage and go with small ball/bellows setup. Keeping the crud out is of paramount importance. Thanks for the heads up on ball sizes. I guess it is not always good to have big balls Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply