The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Full service, EGR Valve now has white smoke! 🤯

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason118 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Full service, EGR Valve now has white smoke! 🤯
    Posted: 08 Jul 19 at 22:10
The back ground: 
I recently did a service on my 1.9tdi 2004 T5. I replaced all filters, oil (5w/40),rocker cover gasket (not to service but small oil leak), gearbox oil and fuel filter. I used all Bosch parts. I had an oil leak from the EGR valve and the engine ran a bit lumpy at times. I found an after market EGR valve on EBay and fitted that.

The problem: 
When pulling away or accelerating I get various amounts of white smoke. At times it clears then restarts. It’s particularly noticeable when pulling off. The engine always used to sit at 90 on the temp gauge but now it’s 60-70. The gauge was temperamental the other day and didn’t seem to register but is working again now.
I have no apparent water in the oil or oil in the coolant and both are holding there levels with no leaks.

My Thoughts:
The van runs smoothly and drives well with no seeming loss of power.
I think it’s now running cold and I have unburnt diesel running into the exhaust.
I suspected the EGR valve but have put the original back in and it’s still smoking the same 😔
I double checked the fuel filter is connected correctly. I can see the vacuum pump moving on the EGR valve and resetting.

No idea now where to go! Please help ðŸ™

Jason118 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason118 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 20:27
I solved it. 
I had put too much engine oil in. I lowered the level and the smoke disappeared!

Just a silly mistake!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 21:22
Good news!  Overfilling the oil does cause white smoke as you just found but normally it's so much (huge clouds of thick smoke, enough so you can't see if you are following)  You can't mistake it.  I don't think I've ever seen any small amount of white smoke caused by overfilling.  There is always a risk especially with a diesel of the engine locking up where excess oil trapped in the combustion chamber locks (and wrecks) the engine.  Happily you got away with it. Smile 
2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 19 at 02:11
Good to hear, but it might be worthwhile keeping an eye on that temp(eramental) gauge ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply