The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fridge Wiring Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fridge Wiring Issues
    Posted: 04 Aug 15 at 16:45
Hi
I'm trying to reinstall a Westy 3 way fridge (RM184) after the previous owner has wired in a 2 way compressor fridge.
I am not an electrician and my electrical skills are, that I can measure voltage with my multimeter and continuity, and not much else.
Problem is, when I plug the fridge in, the battery light comes on on the dash and the starter battery stops charging. The wiring socket is missing on the fridge end, so I am assuming its red (leisure end) to black (marked plus) brown to brown, and blue to blue.

When the engine is running, 12V is sent down the blue wire to the fridge from the split charging relay.
To complicate matters the split charge relay isn't the original one and was put in when the compressor fridge was installed. Its a Bosch 0332002156 Relay (Which is also a diesel glow plug relay).

I f anyone could help me troubleshoot this setup I'd be very grateful.

Pete Westy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 15 at 18:28
Here's a link to the RM184 Fridge circuit diagram
http://www.westfaliat3.info/Electrolux_RM184EGI_Schaltplan.jpg
According to this,
  •  the Blue is earth,
  • The Brown energises the fridge internal relay when the engine is running and the fridge is set to 12volt
  •  the Black is positive and feeds the heater element via the relay when on 12volt and the spark device when on gas. This should be the permanent supply via the fuse on the pillar fed from the leisure battery.
My fridge is actually a RM 182 but had an identical circuit diagram stuck to the top and these strange coloured wires seem to be correct. My fridge is not wired via the split charge relay.
The wiring of the split charge relay is straightforward. The wire from the Black Buzzing Box under the seat goes to the battery direct. The wire from the main battery goes to the relay contact (probably 30). and the other contact (probably 87) goes to the battery. The relay coil (pin 85) goes to ground and the ignition on signal goes to (probably 86)
This is how mine works, but as none of these colours seem to standard, good luck.

Pete

I've spent so much time under the Atlantic I'm changing my name to Titanic.
Stefvan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 15 at 19:18
Thanks Pete..  just seems very counterintuitive that I would therefore need to reverse the brown and blue wires at the plug ? Because its the blue wire (on the leisure side of the plug) that is energised +12V when the engine is running.. Confused

Stefvan
Pete Westy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 15 at 19:50
I guess these fridges were made for all sorts of caravans, boats etc in all countries, hence the strange wiring colours. Why not try just hotwiring it to a battery as per the wiring diagram and seeing if it works. You can't really be sure what the previous owner has done so I think you need to start from basics.
Pete

I've spent so much time under the Atlantic I'm changing my name to Titanic.
Stefvan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 15 at 20:21
Hi Pete
I swapped the blue & brown around, now the charging circuit works, got to go on a longer run to double check 12V element is working
many thanks again for the clarification.

Stefvan
Stefvan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 15 at 20:47
Now cooling on the move Thumbs Up

cheers

Stefvan
 Post Reply Post Reply