The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5.1 Westfalia Towing Electrics Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andywilde16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5.1 Westfalia Towing Electrics Issue
    Posted: 23 Mar 21 at 22:16

I have just bought a camper converted T5.1 2013 via private sale which has been fitted with a Westfalia detachable tow bar and Westfalia 13pin electrics (Product  #321 454 300 143)

As I intend to use it to tow my caravan I have this evening plug the caravan into the T5 only to find the lights etc do not work.  The caravan is fitted with the ALKO ATC system which received power and turned on, there was no charging of the caravan battery occurring nor was there any power to the fridge in the caravan.  None of the road lights worked on the caravan (side lights, brake lights, indicators) except the fog lights on the caravan were on constantly.

I know the caravan is working fine as when I connect it to my other tow car everything works as it should.

Can anyone shed any light on what maybe going on with the electrics?

Thanks

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 21 at 15:52
I think you do have to code that one.  It's possible someone has got in a pickle with it and given up.  If you google the kit number PF Jones have the fitting instructions and it describes the coding procedure.  Anyone with VCDS can do this.  However, it says that if you have parking assistance II or parking steering assistant, you need to use VW's own tool.  I doubt if this actually the case but Ross-Tech (or some googling) would provide an answer.  The sort of things you are describing can be the result of incorrect coding.

I have an original fit Westfalia 13 pin tow bar on my old van and the 12S wiring (for the caravan) are not part of that, and yours may be the same.  I have a smart relay fused and wired directly from the battery.  It works the fridge and the caravan battery charging plus a spare 30 amp socket in the back.  I notice in the instructions of the PF Jones instructions/hieroglyphics, the part of the wiring designations showing a pic of a caravan is blank.

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/westfalia_fitting/321454300143.pdf

2004 2.5 174
andywilde16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andywilde16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 21 at 10:08
So I have managed to resolved the lights issue, the 13pin socket on the back of the T5 had been incorrectly wired.

I have also ascertained that the westfalia dedicated wiring kit needs an additional harness to enable pin 10 for the fridge and caravan charging circuit - which I have now purchased, I just need to pick up a switched ignition feed to connect to the relay in the kit.

Just need to work out about the coding as the reversing sensors are still active when the caravan is connected
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 21 at 21:21
I used a smart charger direct (and fused) from the battery.  The smart charger only activates when it has sensed that the battery has enough charge (which will always be when the alternator has topped it up).  That avoids the need to find a switched supply which can be problematical on a CAN BUS vehicle, plus it will cut the auxiliary power if the van battery gets low so it will never flatten it.  I used this one I think.  

It has a spare position for a 30amp socket if you want an extra one.

Re the coding-  There is a guide on the Ross-tech site http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Trailer_Hitch_Retrofitting_(7H) 

There are differences depending on van model and what stuff the van came with so you will have to experiment!   There are also a few discussions on the ross-tech forums if you google 'Ross-Tech forum' and include '7h trailer coding' you should find some info.  If yours is now working most of it should already have been done.  If you choose to use a smart relay it will be stand alone and shouldn't affect anything else or need any further coding.

Good luck with getting the extra wires in the 13 pin socket!  I bought a pre-wired socket in the end which was neatly wired and fully sealed.

Edited by T5 TDI - 02 Apr 21 at 21:25
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply