The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Expansion Tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Expansion Tank
    Posted: 06 Jul 20 at 10:17
Started to get coolant loss, garage reckons its the EGR valve but the bottom of the plastic expansion tank is wet with coolant all the time so I'm going to start there.
Anyone got a part number or can point me to a good replacement??

It's been a while since my last posting, hope you are all keeping well.
Motexion, not cheap plywood!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 20 at 08:35
Can't help much Dub.  I know there are cheaper copies on ebay but probably genuine is better quality.  Maybe take it off and look for any cracks.    
2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 20 at 11:28
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

Can't help much Dub.  I know there are cheaper copies on ebay but probably genuine is better quality.  Maybe take it off and look for any cracks.    

Might be worth checking hoses where they connect to the tank as well, looking for loose connections, splits etc.

Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 20 at 10:43
Hi D4L

I had the EGR cooler give up and start leaking, so they do fail.

but didn't have a wet expansion tank, do you have access to a coolant pressure tester to help you find where the leak is.

Edited by Mr Hedgehog - 12 Jul 20 at 11:20
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 20 at 23:09
Hope you are well too Dub. Smile There are still just a few of us oldies of the T5 section around.  Nice to see Mr Hedgehog and of course Greg who is a long time stalwart and great contributor here. Thumbs Up

I still have my same old bus I bought new.  It has been good to report generally positively on its 16.5 year life which actually has (despite some early misgivings from me caused by the 22 visits to the dealer for warranty problems!) been blessedly free of serious faults thereafter.  

So for the record, at 119k miles my 2004 2.5 174 AXE panel van, once out of warranty has had replaced by me -  

Exhaust manifold replaced with aftermarket cast version

Gearbox bearing -

Clutch and DMF.  Both changed as a precaution once I took the gearbox out but that did also cure the long term clutch judder plus subdued the usual engine racket at idle a bit.

Water pump - It never leaked but reading about all the other early failures here at the time I got nervous and changed it at around 45k  It was with a supposed updated genuine pump and I haven't replaced changed it again since but I watch the coolant level and I probably will do it.

Two front ABS sensors- No ABS pump problems so far.

New heater fan and resistor. 

Two front shocks and top mountings. 

Two rear springs.

Oil cooler 

Intercooler

G62 coolant Temperature sensor

Oil pressure switch

Power steering pump

Power steering pipe

Interior light switch

Driver's window switch

1 Battery, starter motor and earth cable.

I think that is about it.  Not bad for nearly 17 years.  I think I have only had two sets of brake discs in that time plus the usual servicing by me always annually because the mileage has always been less than 10k and always from the start with 506-01 spec oil.  It has had brake and clutch fluid changes every two years and I changed the A/C and alternator freewheels at around the 90k mark.  I still haven't bothered to replace the drivers side door lock which occasionally misbehaves but then works perfectly for months on end.

Anyone else care to hijack Dub4lifes's thread with a vaguely positive van report?   Hug

Just in case anyone has missed it, many brick-yarders have taken the time over the years to document their take on many T5 jobs on a 'How to do' thread here.  Thumbs Up   

2004 2.5 174
Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 21 at 15:28
Ha much appreciated. The problem does continue. Ended up at a main stealers, funny how I put it in for a coolant loss diagnosis and came out with 4 new discs and pads!!
So it's back in. The assumption is maybe now 2 things... water pump or blocked radiator.

They took the pump out...looked ok, radiator not blocked either, as the cambelt/pump was done last year its still under warranty so they've decided to throw in a new pump, (should've done that in the first place).

So if it continues I'm guessing will have to start looking at other options and possibly the EGR, that'll be
 ridiculously expensive! Watch this space.
I did fit a new expansion bottle but to no avail, they keep saying their master tech is on it?? So far his suggestions have been less than so!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 21 at 23:25
I was thinking you were a 2.5 man for some reason.  But your mention of a cam belt makes you a 1.9 owner.  In which case I would almost put money on your problem being the early stages of head gasket failure.  It is fairly common on 1.9's unfortunately.  If you find any residual pressure at all when you take the coolant bottle cap off with the engine stone cold in the morning that more or less confirms it.  Cry  

This is because any (normal) pressure in a sealed cooling system is caused by heat/expansion as the engine warms and this should all dissipate naturally on cooling.  If not, then any extra pressure must come from elsewhere and engine compression leaking into the cooling system via the head gasket is very likely to be the culprit.  
2004 2.5 174
Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 21 at 12:35
Thanks T5 TDI, VW think it is the head gasket now...after charging me £500 for all the other work. I'm livid really as all I ever wanted from them was a proper diagnosis so I had choices. I could have used the money to then get the head gasket done. This has in effect caused me to drive to a local garage and consider a trade in for a fucking fiesta!!
I should say he offered me 5k which isn't bad considering its 15 yrs old! It is super clean and well specced.
The sales guy test drove the van and seemed happy to do the deal, so my time as a VW owner looks like it has come to an end, a bitter one at that thanks to VW and my lack of contacts in the trade.
It's a reluctant trade in as I love the van and now it has new tyres, water pump, thermostat, radiator...someones getting a sweet deal...apart from a dying gasket. I have heard the older 1.9 heads are porus and need pressure testing too, hiking the price of a repair.
Thanks for all the help chaps!!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 21 at 09:17
I must admit I don't keep up with prices.  I've still got the same van I bought 17 years ago!  That doesn't sound like a bad price 'cause it could easily cost £1000 - £1200 at a local garage.  Although I have read that van prices are sky high at the moment since everyone wants a camper project so if yours is really nice maybe it is worth putting the money in, surely your guy must want to make at least a £1000 -2000 in the end to make it worthwhile.  

Unfortunately head gaskets are fairly common on 1.9's but every engine has its weaknesses.  The heads need crack testing but most of them are fine with a skim (which can be done quite happily despite VW saying otherwise) and on they go.

I'd hate to think of you driving around in that Fiesta and suddenly realising just how much you miss the van. (V)  

Edited by T5 TDI - 30 Mar 21 at 09:24
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply