The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

crank pulley issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Norwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: crank pulley issue
    Posted: 28 Jun 20 at 17:35
Any help much much appreciated.

My drive belt had almost gone, split in half. I took it off and asked a friend to look over it as I know very very little. He said that he wasn't sure, but that the crank pulley didn't look right.

There is a bit of play, and I am able to turn it. Its stiff but it will turn. He was saying that as this is attached to the crank then it shouldn't turn, but he was unsure.

Basically from the pics below

1) Does the crank pulley need changing?

2) If so, is it a case of ordering one online (ive seen for as little as £60) and changin it with a standard toolkit or do I go to a mechanic?

https://ibb.co/FBpqstr
Liam Norwich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Norwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 20 at 17:38
Should have said it's a VW LT 1999 2.5 SDi if that's any help
tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 20 at 21:32
I just had mine changed when I had the timing belt done.  There's rubber dampers inside that split over time and cause play.  

It's not too hard to replace but for the tightness of crank bolt and also the pulley may be stuck in place and need some persuading before it comes loose.  It took my mechanic about half an hour to shift.

VW part was about £100  - not too much more than pattern.

TT
Liam Norwich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Norwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 20 at 13:42
Think the best thing is to bring it to my mechanic and get the crank pulley changed, as well as the timing belt and some other engine bits while I'm at it. Thanks TellyTubby!
 Post Reply Post Reply