The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dash cuts out for few seconds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
neal hardy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neal hardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dash cuts out for few seconds
    Posted: 28 Jun 20 at 18:01
thanks for the reply but the only time i have the problem is on intermittent wipers......never anything else. there's a video on you tube that shows the exact same fault.
I'm sure its a failing component and the person said to fit a "bigger" component. May have been a capacitor or something
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 20 at 22:09
Welcome Neal. Smile  There are quite a few choices for that fault I think.  I'd start with a charging check because if the alternator regulator fails it can lead to high/erratic voltage supply which the dash is particularly sensitive to.  

Secondly, odd though it sounds there is a link between the bonnet open/closed switch and the dash.  It is used mainly for the strange arrangement whereby once the oil level light comes on, the bonnet must have been opened and closed for it to extinguish.  There is also the fact that the intermittent wipe will not work if the bonnet is open.  I would just check that the switch looks good and the two wires are not broken.

There is also a place on the wiring loom where it can rub on the top of the clutch pedal box which can cause the dash lights to flicker.

If you can get it diagnostics it might give you some clues.  It is important to have a complete scan so that all the individual controllers/ECU's on the van are checked.  The instruments controller and the Cent Elec controller AKA J519 are particularly important.

These are just some cheap and easy checks based on the most common problems but in reality there are many more possibilities.  Poor earths or a failing dash cluster could also do it for instance.  So really it is down to getting the multimeter out and starting with a simple check across the battery.  A fully charged battery should read at least 12.6v and between 13.7v and 14.5v (approx) with the engine idling.  If the regulator is faulty it may show as much as 15v plus.  
2004 2.5 174
neal hardy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neal hardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 20 at 16:36
HI
I'm sure I've seen this issue on here before but i simply can't find it now
i have a 2005 2.5tdi T5 LWB and when i have the wipers on intermittant the  dials and lights on the dash keep cutting out then coming back on. Vehicle still drives but its annoying. Im sure someone posted about changing a resistor on the instruments and had photos of which one but i simply can't find it now

Help please someone
neal
 Post Reply Post Reply