The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No waning lights on dash no start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shonecse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No waning lights on dash no start
    Posted: 12 May 20 at 20:05

I know I’m probably posting this in the wrong section, but I’m getting desperate here, here I go with my problem/issue.

I had a complete power failure on my 58 plate T5 T30 LWB van, when I say power failure I mean electrically and costed to a stop on side of road. I carry a few tools on the van thank god and tested the battery to find it was pushing out around 12.5v checked all the fuses centre of dash none blown and checked fuse box in front of battery also all good.

After a google search several times found there was a hidden box under the battery removed that and found 4 relays 2 with 449, 1 with 463 (think that’s the glow plug relay) and 1 large with 457 and 7 fuses on last lead with fuse lead marked as No.9 100amp fuse was blown, I temp by passed this and found I had power to equipment that worked with ignition off central locking, hazard lights etc, but when ignition turned on no dash warning lights, no fuel pump etc but the engine would turn over in start position ?. I can’t find what’s blown the fuse and can’t work out why nothing else powers up.

So, anyone got any idea’s where to go next please.

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 20 at 09:46
You probably need a wiring diagram.  To blow a 100A fuse that must be a serious short.  I wouldn't leave it by-passed unless you are watching it like a hawk, have a battery lead ready to pull off or you could have a fire.  It sounds like it must be one of the main unswitched (terminal 30) supplies.  It could even be the same fault as in this thread (see Mater Tech's pic).  http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/t5-axd-wont-start_topic86439.html ;
2004 2.5 174
shonecse View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shonecse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 20 at 19:35
Potty thing is i tested from the lead (no.9) to earth prior to connecting it straight to the top power rail where the fuse should have been connected and no resistance at all !, so there must be a relay or something else gone maybe the ignition switch not shore really.

And yes that's the thing that worried me 100 amp fuse gone bang that's a full direct short, but without resistance i can trace down where, hence there is another component at fault somewhere and not shore what no.9 feeds. 
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 20 at 23:50
Well I'm no auto electrician but it does seem odd that your temporary bridge on the blown fuse fixed the permanent supply but still left you with no switched supply.  I would guess the fault must be quite basic and close (electrically at least) to the power source.  Check those relays are working and for any signs of heat on the pins and for any other other loose or dodgy looking connections on the E box.  

Diagnostics (VCDS or similar) might come up with some hints if you can get access to it.  Although in this case it will probably just tell you what you already know.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.  Smile

Edited by T5 TDI - 14 May 20 at 00:07
2004 2.5 174
shonecse View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shonecse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 20 at 11:50

Ok, things are a little closer, does anyone have an ignition wiring diagram. Now just received a new ignition switch and it appears there is a dead short on one of the out circuits.

I fitted the new switch all ok turned it on there was a crackle from the switch a small puff of smoke well end of new switch, so coming into the switch is fine I need to work out which one of the out goings should be carrying live on and has a short on it, and a wiring diagram would help identify where it is going. That is, it connected to a faulty item maybe the canbus controller has give up who knows, or I direct short to ground,

Can anyone point me to a diagram as all I have found so far don’t marry up to my 1.9 T5 2009

Thanks Chris 
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 20 at 12:41
Just found this online.  http://www.1946vw.co.uk/vwbooks/vw_info/T5_pdfs/T5_Basic_Elec_%202005-7.pdf

Your short looks like it could be on the large red wire with 100A fuse.  You could disconnect the battery then see if you have continuity between that wire and the body (earth) with a meter.  I reckon you might find something similar to the pics in my link to MasterTech's post above (post #2), a big wire chafed behind the dash. :-( 

Edited by T5 TDI - 17 May 20 at 13:19
2004 2.5 174
shonecse View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shonecse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 20 at 12:47

Could you check your link it comes up as a 404 not found but yes that 100 amp fuse originally blown and now changed but its ok from there to ignition it go’s pair shaped when ignition turned on just had to purchase ANOTHER ignition switch as blown the new one I had this morning.

If you could check your link as I thing it would be a good place to start.

Many, many thanks Chris

shonecse View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shonecse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 20 at 13:02
On the socket that plus onto the ignition the offending corresponding number is terminal 6 but on the switch its terminal 15, the switch shows signs of melting, the wire leaving the terminal block is a solid black wire no trace colour and has a hard short on it.

Chris

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 20 at 13:15
Don't know about the terminal 6 on the plug but terminal 15 means switched supply.

The wiring diagram link should work now..

Edited by T5 TDI - 17 May 20 at 13:16
2004 2.5 174
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 20 at 13:24
It does sound like the short must on the switched supply form the ign switch to the dash, in which case look out for the clutch pedal box chafing through the loom.  A good light and you might just spot it.  The clutch pedal box can come out without the brake pedal box so if you are lucky and that is the problem it might save you taking the whole dash out like in MasterTech's pic.
2004 2.5 174
Stryne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stryne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 20 at 14:22
It looks like the chafing through problem, 

The switch connections -  

1=50 bla  fuse SB23 to  starter 

2=75  to 96 bla/red to J519 OCU

3=30 Red to batt 100A fuse SA9

4=P grey  to comb sw for side lights

5=50b  red/bla Starter sol.

6=15 bla ign to  joins in harness, goes to a multitude of fuses (Ign position supply)

7=30 red to batt 100A fuse SA9

8=86 S br/grn to SB19 to J519 OCU

so if no minor fuses are blown it suggests the harness chafing problem after the switch and before the minor fuses.
2005 T5 2.5L 128Kw 6SpA LWB med. roof
shonecse View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shonecse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 20 at 18:12
any chance you know which fuse box it heads to on 6=15 as my arms are a little chunky to get under dash i'm probably going to half to pull the clock cluster out to see where its going me thinks.

Chris
shonecse View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shonecse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 20 at 18:13
sorry yes no fuses blown so def in between :-(
shonecse View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shonecse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 20 at 18:16
oh 1 more question "6=15 black ign to  joins in harness, goes to a multitude of fuses (Ign position supply)
" does it stay in cab or does it go back to engine bay fuse box behind NS head light ?
shonecse View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shonecse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 20 at 21:25
Gents thanks for your help i found the chafed wire under the glove box on the edge of a bracket on top of the left duct leaving the heater box

many thanks Chris
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 20 at 09:25
Thanks for getting back to us. Thumbs Up   Another good fix for the records...
2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 20 at 13:38
Good news, and well done to T5 TDI for the info & suggestions, and to shonecse for the tenacity to follow through and fix it - another T5 saved from the scrap heap !
Stryne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stryne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 20 at 13:49
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

Thanks for getting back to us. Thumbs Up   Another good fix for the records...

I'll second that, well done Shonecse, & T5TDI, - Now I'll check mine before it happens to it.
2005 T5 2.5L 128Kw 6SpA LWB med. roof
shonecse View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shonecse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 20 at 09:36
Very big thanks to all that could take the time to post, its all ways great t find people willing to give there time to others Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply