The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water pump cover 2.5tdi and change info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithysmoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water pump cover 2.5tdi and change info
    Posted: 03 Apr 20 at 10:24
Got a waterpump change coming up....Just wandering if the cover has a gasket of any kind as I've not heard it mentioned at all??

Any other useful tips....I hear the dipstick is a pain in the arse to re seat? Is it worth draining the coolant out of the housing if your changing the oil anyway as any that passes through will be drained through the sump plug??

Cheers for the help in advance.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 20 at 12:05
The cover has a rubber seal from memory, I have never needed to change one.  Theoretically unless the pump has been leaking the chamber should be empty or nearly empty but you should still drain it in case of any small particles which could get into the oil or worse the valve train chamber.

It's been a while but I think the dipstick tube needs to come off to get at the banjo bolt at the back of the engine in order to drain the chamber.  It's a fiddle to get back in (done by feel if I remember) but not that bad.  

Officially you have to take the wheel, wheel arch liner and the end plate off the engine to use the engine locking tool but you can remove the starter and lock the flywheel teeth or use the old school method of holding the brake on in 4th gear as long as you make sure the pump gear still gets correctly tightened on reassembly.  You need a dedicated puller or home made version because they can be very tight.  You cannot get the pump out without one.  Don't forget to drain the rest of the coolant, taking off the top end of the bottom hose should be low enough from memory.

Come back and let us know how you found the job.  Thumbs Up  (Got your pm btw.) 

2004 2.5 174
Smithysmoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithysmoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 20 at 12:58
Mate your always a wealth of info and got me through the gates couplings :)

Ok I'll drain as its good course of action...and while I'm there might aswell if its better. Yes I was thinking if you didn't need to drain then you could also leave the dipstick and potentially save quite a bit of time and fiddling around.

Yes going old school instead of locking the engine, although I also have an impact wrench which if I can get in with enough room I here is also good for getting the wheel nut off and saves locking it off also..

Yes managed to pick up the correct tool of ebay that somebody had used on theirs so fingers crossed.

Will let you know how I get on...and thanks again 
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 20 at 23:53
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

Officially you have to take the wheel, wheel arch liner and the end plate off the engine to use the engine locking tool but you can remove the starter and lock the flywheel teeth or use the old school method of holding the brake on in 4th gear as long as you make sure the pump gear still gets correctly tightened on reassembly.  You need a dedicated puller or home made version because they can be very tight.  You cannot get the pump out without one.  Don't forget to drain the rest of the coolant, taking off the top end of the bottom hose should be low enough from memory.

Come back and let us know how you found the job.  Thumbs Up  (Got your pm btw.) 

did mine a year or so ago.
Yes the cover has an oring
I didn't remove the wheel arch or anything, only the dipstick and moved water res slightly.
to remove the pump i used a two jaw bearing puller and a few bits of steel
post67 here,
https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f136/t5-water-pump-r5-5cyl-tdi-discussion-thread-40031-7.html

i drained all the water, by removing a lower hose and the thermostat, but i noticed afterwards that there looks like a drain bolt towards the back of the pump housing too.Didn't try it though.

If the housing is rusty or cruddy inside, make sure to clean it up as best, or pump orings won't seal

Edited by Rebuild - 04 Apr 20 at 00:02
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithysmoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 20 at 15:32
Cheers mate thats awesome...all the info i can get the better :)

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 20 at 18:05
Forgot to say the pump gear is one of an 11 gear train including the cam/ alternator/PAS drive gears etc but it is not 'timed' or even marked up to go in any specific position so you can just take it off but it should go back the same way round.  There is a special tool for pulling the gear off in addition to the pump tool but you can tap around with a small hammer on the solid part of the gear (well away from the teeth) with the nut back on loosely to protect the thread.  The gear teeth should not be levered on at all, if it won't come off, buy the puller. Smile

On the earlier vans the pump is held on by two allen bolts, 6-7mm ish but I have a feeling those changed to torx or more likely triple square by about 2008.     

Edited by T5 TDI - 05 Apr 20 at 21:16
2004 2.5 174
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithysmoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 20 at 10:57
Just got my pump delivered...Just noticed you can get a small spline on the end of it...Would it not be possible to use a 24mm ring spanner and a spline to stop it from rotating to undo the gear nut. Similar to how you do on top of suspension. Just wandered why this had not been mentioned as an easy removal method?

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 20 at 12:28
That's news to me, bloody good idea though.  Just out of interest, is your pump genuine and do the seals look similar and also the same colour?  Or do you have one green and one black?
2004 2.5 174
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithysmoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 20 at 13:14
Hey mate...after much research across forums etc I got an SKF one...Apparently their bearing are second to none and been around for years so I thought I'd give it a whirl...Yes has 2 different colored seals on there. I wandered why nobody had mentioned the spline in the end before and yes why they all don't put it on I have no idea. Just need to get a 24mm ring spanner though now as haven't got one in the draw or I'll weld one with a socket if I can find a spare 24mm socket.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithysmoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 20 at 13:17
Just checked and there is one black and one grey seal and the impeller is metal for anybody thinking of getting one.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 20 at 16:34
SKF is fine.  They make a lot of original parts for VW.  
2004 2.5 174
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 20 at 23:56
Originally posted by Smithysmoo Smithysmoo wrote:

Just got my pump delivered...Just noticed you can get a small spline on the end of it...Would it not be possible to use a 24mm ring spanner and a spline to stop it from rotating to undo the gear nut. Similar to how you do on top of suspension. Just wandered why this had not been mentioned as an easy removal method?

i did sort of mention it here
https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f136/t5-water-pump-r5-5cyl-tdi-discussion-thread-40031-7.html

but even then, the pump nut comes off, without even holding the shaft, and i tightened it up the same, except with a piece of aluminium as a gear lock

Edited by Rebuild - 10 Apr 20 at 00:01
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply