The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suspected Camshaft issue on 2004 1.9 T5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason118 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suspected Camshaft issue on 2004 1.9 T5
    Posted: 25 Mar 20 at 13:58
Hi

Just developed a worrying rattle. It’s very prominent in tick over and quietens when revel but I can still hear it in the background of the engine noise.
It’s difficult to pin point where it’s coming from but seems to be the rocker cover/ manifold area.
The van has done 215,000 miles and I suspect it’s a cam shaft.
Is this a huge job? Should I look at a refurbed engine instead?
I’m in the Devon area so if anyone has any advise or recommendations for what and who to use please let me know.
I’m not driving the van but am on recall for corona response so may have too! Really don’t want to blow my van up!

I have a video of the engine running but no idea how to put it on here!
Jason118 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason118 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 20 at 14:03

Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 20 at 22:07
something sounds rattly with that vid, yeah.
I'm not up with the camshaft thingo, but i have heard if you have definite pulsing in the intake soft pipework at idle, it's most likely camshaft.

Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 13:57
Originally posted by Jason118 Jason118 wrote:

Hi

Just developed a worrying rattle. It’s very prominent in tick over and quietens when revel but I can still hear it in the background of the engine noise.
It’s difficult to pin point where it’s coming from but seems to be the rocker cover/ manifold area.
The van has done 215,000 miles and I suspect it’s a cam shaft.
Is this a huge job? Should I look at a refurbed engine instead?
I’m in the Devon area so if anyone has any advise or recommendations for what and who to use please let me know.
I’m not driving the van but am on recall for corona response so may have too! Really don’t want to blow my van up!

I have a video of the engine running but no idea how to put it on here!

Personally, I'd change the oil & filter
and run it until I could hear the noise clearly.
I'd probably use a thicker when hot oil.

If you use 5w 30,
how about a 10W 30 oil?

In a well used engine,
the flow rate with 5w 30 at running temp in a well used engine
will probably be as good as, or better than
the flow rate in a new engine on 5w 30.

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 19:06
That knocking doesn't sound regular enough like the cams on the 2.5's.   Those have a much deeper and regular knock.  Have a listen to some of them on youtube for comparison.  If it is the cam popping back, take the air filter cover off and it will be clear.  You can actually feel individual pops on the inlet trunking the as well.

On a 1.9 you can easily take the rocker cover off for a look.  Are you certain the noise is coming from inside the engine not something loose externally?
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 19:24
Can you sensibly run the engine 
with the rocker box off please T5?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 20:35
You can run the engine very briefly but expect both you and most of engine compartment to get covered in spotted oil within a few seconds (including the windscreen).  
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 20:47
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

You can run the engine very briefly but expect both you and most of engine compartment to get covered in spotted oil within a few seconds (including the windscreen).  

Thanks T5 :o)

Not a sensible trick then :-(((
 Post Reply Post Reply