The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My mechanic fitter the wrong cam shaft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOONS1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My mechanic fitter the wrong cam shaft
    Posted: 25 Feb 20 at 08:12
help please !! I have a 2.5 TDi 2006 T5 recently took to my garage with a noisy top end. New cam shaft was undertaken but when I went to pick it up the engine started and sputtered to idle speed but the accelerator was unresponsive. I left it with him and after another week he told me he had fitted the wrong camshaft ! He rectified this and has since fitted the correct camshaft. When the van starts now the accelerator is unresponsive on start up but responds when van gets to idle speed and its unresponsive for a few seconds from a standing start. Up through the gears and at higher speeds engine seems to be running fine. He still has the van but is now telling me I need a new engine!!!! I'm worried he has damaged the engine by fitting the wrong cam shaft ?? Any thoughts please. 
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 20 at 18:16
Originally posted by NOONS1972 NOONS1972 wrote:

help please !! I have a 2.5 TDi 2006 T5 recently took to my garage with a noisy top end. New cam shaft was undertaken but when I went to pick it up the engine started and sputtered to idle speed but the accelerator was unresponsive. I left it with him and after another week he told me he had fitted the wrong camshaft ! He rectified this and has since fitted the correct camshaft. When the van starts now the accelerator is unresponsive on start up but responds when van gets to idle speed and its unresponsive for a few seconds from a standing start. Up through the gears and at higher speeds engine seems to be running fine. He still has the van but is now telling me I need a new engine!!!! I'm worried he has damaged the engine by fitting the wrong cam shaft ?? Any thoughts please. 

My 2.5 TDi sounds like a cement mixer 
with a load of stones in it.
They all seem to.

How on earth could you tell it had a noisy top end?

Based on above, I reckon he may have mugged you

Has your motor been checked on a VAG fault reader?

With any luck he's upset whichever Pandora's Box
(also known as an ECU) controls engine revs.
NOONS1972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOONS1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 20 at 20:03
Well it's always been noisy I should have said NOISIER !!
Yes no faults shown 
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 20 at 09:43
Originally posted by NOONS1972 NOONS1972 wrote:

Well it's always been noisy I should have said NOISIER !!
Yes no faults shown 

No faults on the reader sounds good.

What reason or reasons did he give
to justify the idea you need a new engine?
NOONS1972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOONS1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 20 at 16:16
none really just reckons theres lack of compression but not proven. Have since asked the garage manager to take over the job so hopefully may get a resolution soon
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 20 at 17:58
How do you feel about asking for a compression test?

How do you feel about asking what the wrong camshaft was?

There is the possibility that the faulty camshaft 
opened valves into a piston coming the other way.

There is also the possibility that the first camshaft
was timed incorrectly shoving valves into pistons.

Best to explore those ideas very diplomatically
as you could lose such goodwill as you had.

Have you seen your old camshaft at all?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 20 at 17:59
It may be best to leave discussing 
what could have gone wrong until later,
if at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply