The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tyre wear T30 LWB Camper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 20 at 21:13
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

So far I've gotten over 80,000km from Michelin agilis (van tyres) on my gently driven totally stock van, but it won't be too much longer before they are due for replacement.

My mistake, I thought Greg said 30k (km) for some reason.  Australians should be surfacing about now  so no doubt Greg will explain further.   80k km sounds a lot to me (for fronts at least) but I know him as sensible and accurate person so no doubt he will explain.    
2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 20 at 11:41
Originally posted by Charlie Dog Charlie Dog wrote:

Greg's done "80,000km" (50,000 miles) TD5.
I copied and pasted, then increased text size.

Correct.  

I got a little more out of the original set of agilis tyres (I want to say 110,000km from the 5, but I'd have to check my records to confirm that)).  

I do rotate my tyres (all 5) every now and then.  Using 5 instead of 4 does increase the distance you can get out of a set of tyres, with 80,000 x 4/5 is the equivalent of 64,000km (40,000 miles) if you only used 4, and the current set aren't on the wear marks yet.

But my usage is an extreme outlier, as my van does nearly all it's time driving gently on motorways (no hard cornering, very few traffic light derbys).  

The brakes are the original pads & disks, done 188,000Km (and still going strong), driveshafts are both original (been re-greased a couple of times)

As you can probably guess I almost always drive quite gently, and anticipate traffic movements assiduously, using gears and engine braking to slow down a lot of the time.  I also try to time my journeys to avoid heavy traffic. So my tyres (and brakes) have a very easy time of it.

Edited by gregozedobe - 20 Feb 20 at 11:50
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 20 at 09:27
Ours came with Cross Climates.
The fronts were more worn at the centre that the edges.
I replaced them while they had enough tread to sell.
I think the guy before would have used book / B-post pressure
The rears were about 50% worn.

Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

I think I get about 16,000 miles out of my bog standard 2.5 174 tyres.  I do unintentionally spin the wheels very occasionally which is quite hard to avoid on 174. Despite I'm a bit brutal with hill starts, I never span the worn 255s Climates.  10,000 miles sounds low but if the wear is consistent across the tyre it doesn't sound like tyre pressure to me.  Wear on both shoulders is usually alignment or low tyre pressure (as they roll on the rims) and high tyre pressure can cause the central band to wear faster than the edges.  This used to be true. With new soft rubber, the ball game may have changed.  I have no experience with non-standard suspension setups or wheels so I'm not qualified to comment on those.  Non standard stuff is a nightmare.  The manufacturer's tyre data is about the only place I know to go for help.

Tyres have "Static Loaded Radius".
SLR Static Loaded Radius is the radius from the wheel centre down to the ground, at reference load and pressure. The difference between unloaded radius and static loaded radius is called deflection. This value varies between 15-30% of the tire section height, depending on tire type.

Spring rates, and camber effect handling.
Seat of the pants (test) drivers 
say what pressures to use
to get they balance right.

Worn shocks and rapid tyre wear
go together like Tom and Wot's 'is name.

Tyre pressure is a key part of your suspension.
Tyres smooth your ride

Greg's 30,000 km looks unbelievable at first sight but it is only just over 18.5 K miles so not that different from mine.   I drive fairly sedately most of the time but I like to have a quick fizz up every now and again with a warm engine which keeps VVT turbo exercised and everything else using its full normal full range. I know it as an Italian decoke.  
I like to stick ours in sport 
and give it a bit of wellie
for a mile or so every trip.

Thanks for starting the idea exchange T5 :o)

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 20 at 16:23
Tyre wear caused by worn shocks usually causes that 'chopped up' look (and feel if you spin the tyre).  If ignored it will develop and make the tyres noisy and eventually they will flat so badly they start to form small bald patches and eventually fall apart.  If I remember the OP did say the wear on his tyres was nice and even across the whole tyre.   
2004 2.5 174
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 20 at 20:25
The shocks on ours were pretty worn T5.
They were worn nice and evenly 
across and around the tyre.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12