The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

air vent control busted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: air vent control busted
    Posted: 14 Feb 20 at 16:06
Hi all,

New to this forum but already had some great replies. I have been troubleshooting an issue with my T5 vents (09 plate)

Had no air coming out of the two front dash vents (when on face, just the 2 sides would work)
I've removed everything and found that the wire which has caused many others problems, seemed to be fine. It just wasn't pulling the, erm, plastic pulley at the back enough to get front vents working. Gripping the pulley down a bit more with my hand and I got the front blowers working

After 20 mins of trying to fix, I made things even worse and now I can't turn it easily to select face without it getting snagged on the feet vent. When it clunks past feet with some force, it's still not on face for the front 2 vents.

I'm unsure if this is a cable problem or the cogs controlling it perhaps.

Linked a 30 second video showing the problem

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 20 at 20:46
is this useful

i seem to recall that once fixed, it's recommended to only ever turn the control dial in one direction ALWAYS.

whether that be CW or ACW, maybe someone else knows.I turn mine CW always

Edited by Rebuild - 14 Feb 20 at 20:51
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 20 at 22:04
I had a vague idea that there were two schools of thought:

1  Only ever turn the dial anti-clockwise

2  Never use the portion of the dial between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock ( I think the later transporters actually had a different dial that didn't allow movement in this zone)

The better fix for most was to replace the braided conrol wire for the stiffer single wire version (possibly 7H2 819 837 C  ? )

A bit of googling should find more info  on what and how to do it.
chatlow View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 20 at 22:07
Thanks both. Mine is an 09 plate.. You can't move between 12 and 3 o'clock on the dial.

Will def look into the fix for lining up those cogs though, thanks
chatlow View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 20 at 08:18
thanks for the above posts

mostly fixed this albeit not perfect

1, the teeth on the vent select cogs had skipped causing a slight lock. That bit sorted.
2. Replaced crappy braided cable with 7H2819837C which is a solid core type. Much better and wont kink.

All works fine other than the white pulley at that back still isn't being rotated fully to give 100% for front vents. the cable needs to push around another cm I would guess for this to work. Side fronts are fine still, the front right much better and front left is around 75% open

This how-to helped a lot:

Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 20 at 09:20
chatlow thanks for the link. Downloaded and saved.
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply