The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leisure battery under drivers seat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leisure battery under drivers seat
    Posted: 12 Feb 20 at 18:37
Hi all, I'm fitting a low profile 110 battery under the drivers seat of my 09 plate T5.

I've removed the seat to access the base and struggling to place the battery either front to back (because there's a  big bolt in the floor) or side to side (because there's a big bracket holding the connections in place. 

Undid the connection block but I'm unable to remove the bracket itself. Square bolts won't budge. I then removed the base so that i could get underneath and have a go, but the 2 bolts (think there torq) wont grip. 

Any suggestions would be very welcome!!! 
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 20 at 23:32
Make sure you have the correct socket for those bolts - might be triplesquare ? (I'm not sure)
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 20 at 23:37
I put a 100AH sealed AGM (N70 size i think) under the passenger seat ( more room than drivers side).Had to lay it down on its side, as it fouled the seat mech otherwise.

Edited by Rebuild - 12 Feb 20 at 23:39
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
chatlow View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 20 at 12:18
thanks both - i will try and hunt down a triplesquare adaptor and give it a go from underneath again. I have no tools for the square bolts on top - so tried using a 12pt adaptor which just slipped, so I stopped.

With regards to AGM, yeah I went for a cheaper version from Tanya batteries but good reviews. Needs venting and definitely has to stay upright :)
chatlow View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 20 at 12:32
sorry i didnt use 12pt. it was torq 6pt. think the 12pt star is worth a shot
chatlow View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 20 at 12:37
grr, cant edit posts. let me clear this up. tried 12pt socket for the square bolt from above - no luck, it slipped. The tried 6pt torx from below, think it might release that way. but wouldnt fit. so i think i might 12 pnt  bit and have another go
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 20 at 19:40
yeah, most of the large bolts that look like torx are triple square/spline. Don't use torx for those, it won't work.
Generally, the small bolts (eg for panelling etc) are torx
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 20 at 09:21
Have you got room under the floor?

Underfloor batteries have fallen out of fashion,
however, the position has advantages.

chatlow View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 20 at 09:41
thanks - i am still unsure about this bolt and if it's removed from the above (square nut) or the below small spline/xzn that's there

Attached pics of what I am talking about. Maybe others have removed this in the past

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 20 at 11:04
Stud extractor?

There are sockets with a load of rods inside.
They work by cam action on any sort of head.

Then there's nut splitters.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 20 at 11:12
chatlow View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 20 at 11:42
thanks - i have no idea to be honest and may have to ask a garage before buying more tools.

The spline bits should arrive today, so will see if I have any joy removing from below
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 20 at 12:05
Are we talking about the grey fastener at the top?
About 1/3rd along from the left.

Or summat else?

chatlow View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 20 at 12:46
Hi, no it's the 2 black nuts I have highlighted here:

They hold on the bracket you see which the under seat connections screw to (but I have removed for now)
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 20 at 16:38
They are welded captive nuts.  The corresponding bolt head will be underneath.  If you can't see the bolt heads (they might even be underneath the van) you might have to take the whole seat out just to get access to them to get that bracket off. 

Edited by T5 TDI - 14 Feb 20 at 16:39
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 20 at 16:42
Best put some thin oil on 'em too,
and let it soak down the threads.
chatlow View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 20 at 16:55
Thanks - good to know - I will leave the nuts alone :-)

I did get to the corresponding bolts by removing the seat base - that's where I am up to - going to try using spline bit on them soon. and if that doesn't work, then cry before hitting them with an axe
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 20 at 17:12
Drill 'em out from above?
chatlow View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 20 at 17:37
found out the issue. the torque bolt is the security type with pin in the middle - hence I couldnt get the torx bit on it the other night, upside down, in the dark. off to get some adaptor! fingers crossed!!
chatlow View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 20 at 19:08
sorted - security torque bit for the win! 

Good news.. bracket is off and battery fits
Bad news... i've disrupted the wiring either before or inside the box under the seat and now the central locking doesn't work Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>