The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hard to start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robertsitrep9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard to start
    Posted: 16 Jan 20 at 21:54
2006 t5  84000klms  had since new no short runs Perth to Tasmania  and back Perth to South Australia and so on ,after running a few hours turn off  motor ,vehicle difficulties in starting again battery (2) in good order .Have removed inlet manifold and cleaned it ,lots of Vegemite  in side (carbon)😩any clues?
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 20 at 23:44
Is it different when parked facing uphill vs facing downhill ?

Quite a few threads on here about 2.5L 5cyl TDI engines hard to start, so it might be worth having a look at them.  

It is often related to fuel supply, but several different issues can affect starting.

Edited by gregozedobe - 16 Jan 20 at 23:45
Robertsitrep9 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robertsitrep9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 20 at 01:50
Haven’t taken notice of up hill or down hill start attempts will try see how it goes  . 
Thanks 👌
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 20 at 09:11
Originally posted by Robertsitrep9 Robertsitrep9 wrote:

2006 t5  84000klms  had since new no short runs Perth to Tasmania  and back Perth to South Australia and so on ,after running a few hours turn off  motor ,vehicle difficulties in starting again battery (2) in good order .Have removed inlet manifold and cleaned it ,lots of Vegemite  in side (carbon)😩any clues?

If that's lots of gooey soot in the inlet manifold,
my money says your turbo is leaking oil.

The only solution I know is a recon turbo
and an old fashioned decoke.

Sorry.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 20 at 10:42
IIRC goop can also be caused by the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system (it pumps exhaust gases into the intake to lower combustion temps & reduce NOx emissions).

Does your engine use much oil ?  Mine (190,000 km) never has).

Edited by gregozedobe - 19 Jan 20 at 10:44
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 20 at 11:02
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

IIRC goop can also be caused by the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system (it pumps exhaust gases into the intake to lower combustion temps & reduce NOx emissions).

Does your engine use much oil ?  Mine (190,000 km) never has).

Is there any way oil can get in the inlet manifold
other than from the turbo please gregozedobe?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 20 at 14:42
I don't what the fuel quality is like in Australia but fuel with a low Cetane rating (such as was the case in US until a few years ago) can lead to excessive gunge in the EGR and inlet manifold. 

It would be worth taking the EGR valve off and cleaning that because it can cause turbo problems and also making sure the manifold changeover flap (which is part of the EGR valve unit but not the EGR valve itself) is not gunged up and sticking shut sometimes.  It wouldn't hurt to make sure the breather on the rocker cover and its pipework are not blocked also.

When I took my EGR valve off to look at it a while back it looked pretty good (100k miles) compared to some other T5's I had seen pics of online.  Here is my EGR from then.  Remember that yours is probably the later electroinc version so will look different from my early vaccum unit.

You can just see the changeover flap in this pic.  It's fully open here allowing the the daylight you can see.  I believe the electronic version you probably have is a similar setup but using electronic solonoids instead of vacuum actuation.  

I doubt if a stuck closed EGR valve would prevent the van starting (it could cause bad running though) but a stuck closed changeover flap would cause a non-start.

You still need to do the downhill starting test Greg mentioned because the manifold gunge might be a separate and unconnected issue.    

Edited by T5 TDI - 19 Jan 20 at 14:56
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 20 at 15:33
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

You still need to do the downhill starting test Greg mentioned because the manifold gunge might be a separate and unconnected issue.    

Agreed :o)
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 20 at 13:40
How's things Robert?
 Post Reply Post Reply