The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Limp mode every time I change gear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doitup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Limp mode every time I change gear
    Posted: 07 Jan 20 at 14:56
hi Guys new to vow t5s 8 have bought a dc 2.5 2008 4motion with lots of problems the main one at the moment is cutting out alll the time ign off/on and all’s good again... any ideas, also no commas with Ecuador at the moment... it’s had a looong African life
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 20 at 19:09
Originally posted by Doitup Doitup wrote:

hi Guys new to vow t5s 8 have bought a dc 2.5 2008 4motion with lots of problems the main one at the moment is cutting out alll the time ign off/on and all’s good again... any ideas, also no commas with Ecuador at the moment... it’s had a looong African life

Automatic or stick?
Doitup View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doitup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 20 at 19:36
Stick
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 20 at 19:52
Originally posted by Doitup Doitup wrote:

Stick

In which case, I am well out of my depth ;-(

However, I'll take a punt or two.

Your box has a switch to turn
your reversing light on
/ rear proximity sensors on.

Does your van have anything else
to show which gear you are in?

The auto has lights on the dash
and lights near the stick.

Nearly everything involves 
a black Pandora's box aka ECU
so every option above 
could upsetting an ECU.

Switching and them on
maybe resetting the ECU.

Probably best to get 
your fault codes read 
by someone with
VW specific kit.

Some guff on fault codes here: -
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 20 at 08:52
Any joy yet doitup?
Doitup View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doitup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 20 at 08:58
Not yet, it will go fine in the mornings,but as soon as I hit a rough road it goes into limp mode and then every time I change gears I lose throttle until I switch ign in/off. Nothing on the cluster works and no faults are showing on ecu. I now am trying to trace maybe a short on the loom!!!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 20 at 09:47
Not nice :-(

At a guess, the clutch tells an ECU when you move it.
Could that be somewhere to check?

Perhaps try a clutchless change or two?
Doitup View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doitup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 20 at 09:48
It’s ok if I keep my revs up!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 20 at 10:15
You heard of "Toeing and heeling?" Doitup?"

Doitup View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doitup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 20 at 10:19
ohh yes I am quite good at that now.....
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 20 at 12:20
Excellent :o)
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 20 at 14:25
What do mean by 'Nothing on the cluster works'?  Do you mean that you have no guages etc working at all?   If very rough roads have an effect it could be loom damage behind the dash or elewhere.  

Do you have any acess to VCDS diagnostics as Charlie mentions?  Not sure how it is in Ecuador but maybe someone locally has it who will help you.  If so, you need a complete scan of every controller the van has.  That means engine ECU, cent electronics, ABS, comfort module and especially the CAN Gateway if your van has it shown separately.  Once you have this list you have more chance of finding help around the web by googling it and any codes and symptoms.  There will be others out there with similar faults. 

The ign off then on as a temporary cure just means that the engine ECU resets and when it detects the fault again it reacts in the same way to limit power (limp home) to protect the engine (and force you to do something about it!)  It's a similar sort of thing to re-booting a computer or phone.

Edited by T5 TDI - 20 Jan 20 at 14:28
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 20 at 09:43
Any joy yet DoItUp?
Doitup View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doitup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 20 at 10:28
I found that everything under the battery was not placed properly and was loose, I reset everything back to how I thought it should be now it running fine... still nothing on the cluster but I think that’s the bcm
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 20 at 14:12
Sounds good :o)

Although, I'm a bit baffled about
what you mean by a cluster.

What I know as a "Cluster"
doesn't fit your sentence very well :o)
Doitup View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doitup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 20 at 16:10
Cluster= instrument panel
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 20 at 10:46
So, nothing on the instrument panel works?
No warning lights.
No gauges.
No clock.
No distances etc?
No whatever I've missed.

How about the illumination lights?
Doitup View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doitup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 20 at 11:21
Illumination works the oil earning is on all the time and fuel gauge is up and down as I brake the fuel light comes on and the alarm goes off, no temp, tachometer or speedo, the klms are their but is not increasing
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 20 at 01:58
Hmmmm, might be worth looking for a short somewhere (some T5s have had chafing on a wiring loom in the dash.  

Another possibility is a dodgy earth somewhere (maybe related to the instruments controller).
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 20 at 18:47
Those odd dash problems can be caused by something else faulty that is connected to the CAN system sending unexpected messages to the CAN controller in the dash.  The most common culprit is the ABS pump.  Try disconnecting the ABS pump and see if the dash behaves.
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>