The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is van stalling!???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Locky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is van stalling!???
    Posted: 05 Jan 20 at 22:52
Please can someone help.
Have a stalling problem with my 2.5 T5 ‘09
Starts and drives perfectly for about 30 mins
Then cuts out, then starts again when cooled.
Had a patern crank sensor fitted and it worked a dream...but tonight it stalled again.
No diagnostic codes showing.
Please help as I’m getting to the stage where I want to drive into a field and set fire to it.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 20 at 00:14
Hmmm, are you saying it had been stalling, but a pattern (non OEM VW) crank sensor fixed it for a while, but now it is stalling again ?  Bit odd that it is stalling without showing any error codes

I'd be tempted to check the electrical connections to that sensor very carefully, as changing the sensor may have disturbed corrosion enough to work for a little while until it corroded over again. If that doesn't cure it maybe try a genuine VW sensor and see if that fixes it.

Another possible cause is air in the fuel supply ?  But I'd expect it to show an error code due to low fuel pressure somewhere.

Is it running normally otherwise ?

What coolant temp is it showing ?
Locky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Locky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 20 at 03:33
hello and thanks for the reply.
The van runs beautifully until it’s uo to temperature (about 20 mins)and then stalls. the coolant temp is fine.
Replacing the crank sensor fixed the problem.
But the sensor was not a genuine vw part it cost £20
Now that the problem has returned I’m wondering if the crank sensor was not up to the job.
Or if there is another problem which is independent to the sensor .any help much appreciated!

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 20 at 08:20
Wortth checking the main relay if it's stalling.  They can break down when hot.  The relays are in the E-box under the bonnet.  You have to take the battery and the plate it sits on out, then it's about six screws.  Look out the one marked '109'.
2004 2.5 174
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 20 at 14:56
Is there any way to cconnect
a tell tale light across that relay please T5 TDi?

With the tell tail light in the cab
Locky would soon see it it is that relay.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 20 at 18:19
Yeah he could wire up a simple fused bulb to it and see if it goes out when it stalls.  There is usually a little wiring diagram on the side but there will be many online if he puts vw and relay 109 into a search.  
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 20 at 18:29
Thanks T5 TDi :o)
Locky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Locky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 20 at 20:55
thanks all...it’s going into the main stealers tomorrow 
And they are going to put the computer diagnostic on it. Let’s see if they can find out what is wrong with it.
I will keep you updated!
Many thanks.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 20 at 21:05
Your famous aren't you Locky?
I've seen you on TV haven't I?

Your called Loadsamoney aren't you :o)
Locky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Locky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 20 at 01:34
Not any more!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 20 at 08:28
We share your pain :-(
Locky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Locky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 20 at 19:58
I had the tests completed at the Main VW dealer today.
The resulting diagnosis was that the no.4 fuel injector requires replacement,together with a crankshaft replacement.
So this was the cause of the stalling issue.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 20 at 20:32
Nice one Locky :o)

Should that be crankshaft sensor?
I hope so for your wallet's sake.
Locky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Locky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 20 at 15:15
it needs a new crankshaft!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 20 at 15:22
Owwwwwwwch :-(((
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 20 at 08:54
Any joy yet Locky?
 Post Reply Post Reply