The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel pressure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 20 at 08:19
also, when I was faultfinding on mine, I seem to remember trying to rev it up to 3000rpm whilst stationary to see if it went into limp mode, and mine didn't rev that high in neutral, it hit a limiter that was way lower. could be a software limiter, it knows the van isn't moving so limits the revs...?

Wouldn't not being able to rev the nuts off
the engine put the MOT man in a mardy?
fenwick458 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fenwick458 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 20 at 17:10
Originally posted by Charlie Dog Charlie Dog wrote:

also, when I was faultfinding on mine, I seem to remember trying to rev it up to 3000rpm whilst stationary to see if it went into limp mode, and mine didn't rev that high in neutral, it hit a limiter that was way lower. could be a software limiter, it knows the van isn't moving so limits the revs...?

Wouldn't not being able to rev the nuts off
the engine put the MOT man in a mardy?

ah never thought of that. actually thinking about it mine would have been in P, never tried jumping in and putting it in N I guess it must rev to 3,000rpm for the MOT test
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 20 at 20:31
It is correct that the 2.0 CR engines will not be able to rev fully when stationary.  This is normal/ok on an MOT because it's behaviour agreed between the manufacturer and VOSA.  I don't know if 3000 rpm is the actual limit but it is academic really because the UK diesel smoke/opacity test is laughable for a modern diesel unless there is something very wrong.  My old bus is a 16 year old Euro 3 with just a CAT and no DPF and it easily passes every year.          
2004 2.5 174
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 20 at 20:45
Tempting fate there T5 TDi :o)
fenwick458 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fenwick458 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 20 at 23:48
Yeah the mot smoke test is pointless and has been for ages. 10 years ago when re mapping PD engines everybody knew the limit for a clean burn, no smoke remap. But they also knew you could get more power if you just increase the injection duration so the nozzles pretty much constantly pour fuel in at entirely the wrong time 
But it makes an extra 15bhp... so what happened was every remapped TDI had a back bumper with thick layers of soot all over it
But they all passef the smoke test no probs because the ECU only puts fuel in when the car is moving, so it was clean as a whistle during the testLOL
Don't see that so much now that the pd engines have died out a bit.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 20 at 05:35
That's very interesting Fenwick, thanks :o)
Ynysmon View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ynysmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 20 at 11:00
the plot thickens with the van! They have drained the fuel and it’s definitely not just diesel in there!
When t he van was delivered the delivery company said it was empty when they got the for the pick up and he had found some fuel in a can to drive it on the trailer. I then put £30 of fresh diesel when I first drove it. The diesel sample smelled of swarfeger hand wash stuff to me and was a funny colour. 
We’re now draining the whole fuel system to see if that’s it🤦🏻‍♂️
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 20 at 12:38
Oh dear, how very anger provoking :o(

On the bright side, it's a not too expensive 
entirely nuts and bolts problem.

What do think about adding an injector cleaner
to your next lot of fuel :o)
Ynysmon View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ynysmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 20 at 18:07
quick update, Angry 
The fuel sample was a mix of petrol/kerosene and the diesel I put in. Mechanic has said the four injectors seals have gone and will need replacing (including the two new ones I’ve already put on it) He also said although the diesel pump has passed on a bench test it could also be effected once the new injectors are in. Not priced it up yet but I’m thinking it’s gonna cost me a fortune! 
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 20 at 19:08
Nasty old kick in the gob there Ynysmon.

How about asking whoever put the kero/petrol mix in for a lob.
If you don't ask, you don't get.

A solictor's letter might be worth pop.
Except I don't know how much they cost.
Ynysmon View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ynysmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 20 at 19:39
it was back in June I purchased it and have had countless jobs done on it now so not sure where I stand in terms of trying to get money back. 
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 20 at 19:57
Can you finish this well known phrase or saying Ynysmon?

"If you don't ask, . . . "
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 20 at 20:02
If they say "no", your next step is the Small Claims Court.
The first step is simple, easy, and cheap.

Many company's will offer money on the threat.
If they don't, then things can get heavy.

Another saying for you to finish.
"Nothing ventured . . . "
Ynysmon View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ynysmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 20 at 19:36
finally resolved the fault. Took it to someone else that a local guy recommended and it was sorted the same day! 
It cost me a new hp diesel pump but at least the injectors seem ok. I had the pump bench tested ok, but obviously not to the correct pressure by the looks of it. It’s not the first he’s had like this so hopefully this might help a member in future.
Thanks to anyone that has taken the time to help, great forum and members.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 20 at 08:02
Originally posted by Ynysmon Ynysmon wrote:

finally resolved the fault. Took it to someone else that a local guy recommended and it was sorted the same day! 
It cost me a new hp diesel pump but at least the injectors seem ok. I had the pump bench tested ok, but obviously not to the correct pressure by the looks of it. It’s not the first he’s had like this so hopefully this might help a member in future.
Thanks to anyone that has taken the time to help, great forum and members.

I bet you are well please aren't you Ynysmon?
Ynysmon View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ynysmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 20 at 12:22
pleased it’s sorted, no so pleased at the cost of it all haha
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 20 at 20:23
The frailty of the high pressure pumps on the 2.0 CR engines makes me nervous about ever owning one.  If you are unlucky, simply running out of fuel can wreck the pump leading to a £1500 + bill. Shocked   Mis-fueling could do the same.

Edited by T5 TDI - 21 Mar 20 at 20:24
2004 2.5 174
Ynysmon View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ynysmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 20 at 21:31
yeah as I’ve found out:( 
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 20 at 07:59
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

The frailty of the high pressure pumps on the 2.0 CR engines makes me nervous about ever owning one.  If you are unlucky, simply running out of fuel can wreck the pump leading to a £1500 + bill. Shocked   Mis-fueling could do the same.

Which modern vans aren't monkey traps please T5
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 20 at 08:32
T4!
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>