The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flushing power steering fluid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithysmoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flushing power steering fluid
    Posted: 23 Nov 19 at 13:32
Seems like my fluid is contaminated its a grey colour...Before I get a new pump I wandered if it was worth giving it a flush through and see if it lasts.

Any idea on best method for this and what to undo to drain it....

I've got bumper of as I was look at coupling to see if I could do them myself.

Cheers

Van is a 2.5tdi bnz engine 4 motion.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 19 at 13:39
Sounds like the common leaking seals in the p/s pump problem allowing engine oil in.  If so, you need to fix that first (new pump ?), then flush afterwards.

I haven't done this job myself, but there may be some instructions somewhere in this forum (try a search).
Smithysmoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithysmoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 19 at 13:43
Yeah mate I've been searching all morning...Hence I was wandering if it was worth a flush through and monitoring before shelling out on a pump. Oil is only greyish and not completely black at all and not filling the reservoir as I've heard it can do.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithysmoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 19 at 14:01
Also is this the correct fluid...Seems to be 

Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 19 at 12:48
Originally posted by Smithysmoo Smithysmoo wrote:

Also is this the correct fluid...Seems to be 

The GSF one appears to be wrong,
See below.  

Comma Oil say to use 

Power steering: MVCHF - Central Hydraulic Fluid

in a 2005 Caravelle 2.5 TDI.

I daresay any fluid labelled
CHF11S and CHF202 will do nicely

Until someone corrects me,
I suggest you use a 
pump up garden sprayer
to flush your system.

Under 9 quid from Screwfix

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithysmoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 19 at 12:52
Hi are you sure the GSF stuff is incorrect (I've just ordered a couple of bottles) only it matches spec G-002-000 which is what it specified to use in these vans ??? 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithysmoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 19 at 12:55
The one you posted is synthetic based and I'm pretty sure its mineral based that is needed.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithysmoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 19 at 13:10
Just looked it up on Etka and its showing this code...G  004 000 M2  which seems to supersede the other VW code...The Febi stuff from GSF seems to list that its equivalent to both codes. What made you think it was incorrect mate?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 19 at 14:46

Hi are you sure the GSF stuff is incorrect (I've just ordered a couple of bottles) only it matches spec G-002-000 which is what it specified to use in these vans ??? 

I am not sure the GSF stuff is incorrect.

I went by what Comma said for my Reg No.
I've always found them reliable.

I couldn't find anything on the van
on in the manual.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 19 at 14:54

Just looked it up on Etka and its showing this code...G  004 000 M2  which seems to supersede the other VW code...The Febi stuff from GSF seems to list that its equivalent to both codes. What made you think it was incorrect mate?

Because Comma fluid is synthetic,
and the GSF is not synthetic.

Perhaps synthetic fluid is better than dino fluid
in the same way that synthetic is better than dino oil.
Comma reckon to be a performance brand.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 19 at 15:04
Some discussion on synthetic v dino here

Looks like the stuff you ordered is Ok.
While Comma's is either 
Catchpenny
or 
Kinder to seals / pumps / systems.

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 19 at 20:44
On the early vans the 002 spec is actually stamped on the reservoir.  I've stuck with that because when I looked into it, the up-spec was across many vehicles (some were performance petrol engines) and it looked to me that the new spec mostly coped with higher temperatures where parts of the PAS ran close to hot turbos etc.  Personally, I'm taking the risk.   

Edited by T5 TDI - 28 Nov 19 at 20:53
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 19 at 21:23
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

On the early vans the 002 spec is stamped on the reservoir.  I've stuck with that because when I looked into it, the up-spec was across many vehicles (some were performance petrol engines) and it looked to me that the new spec mostly coped with higher temperatures where parts of the PAS ran close to hot turbos etc.  Personally, I'm taking the risk.   

Where is it stamped on your reservoir please?

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 19 at 21:26
Here's the Technical Data Sheet for the Comma fluid.
I couldn't find one for the Febi-Bilstein fluid, sorry.

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 19 at 10:08
Originally posted by Charlie Dog Charlie Dog wrote:

Where is it stamped on your reservoir please?

If yours has it, it is on the reservoir just below the neck, facing you as you open the bonnet I think.  
2004 2.5 174
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 19 at 10:19
You can just see it if you zoom in on this second hand reservoir. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-TRANSPORTER-T5-T30-2003-2009-POWER-STEERING-RESERVOIR-BOTTLE-P-N-7H0422371A/153666889432?fits=Car+Make%3AVW%7CCars+Year%3A2004&epid=1717056959&hash=item23c742a6d8:g:it0AAOSwQLZdk0sf

Can't believe he wants £19 for that crappy old thing! LOL

Edited by T5 TDI - 29 Nov 19 at 10:31
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 19 at 10:31
Thanks T5.

Yeah, he's way out with that price isn't he?
One here, new, for less.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 19 at 08:19
Got a bit of techie guff from Febi.

Their power steering fluid
is about as runny as Comma's at 40C.

Looks like Febi aren't strong on technical :-(
I find that weird in a German company.

I don't know about you,
but it would put me off 'em.

Here's their technical data sheet.

Post Reply Post Reply