The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EGR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EGR
    Posted: 11 Oct 19 at 19:57
Hi I have quite a high mileage T5  and its EGR is prone to clogging with soot.When I first got it I had to take it apart and clean it with petrol and replace. It was fine for around 4 months . Now its going into limp mode with the coil symbol flashing on the dash imtermittently.I would like to blank it and wondered if anyone had found any problems after doing this with fault codes.If you have any useful info that may help it would be appreciated. I dont want to rebuild the engine as it seems to be running fine otherwise .Thanks
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 19 at 21:09
If yours has a DPF I would't do it.   Most T5's after 2005 do have a DPF and it's likely to block up more quickly with the EGR blanked off.  On the early vans (AXE/AXD) with a vacuum operated EGR (and no DPF) you can blank them off with no engine light but any later and you need a remap to stop the warning light coming on.

If the EGR keeps blocking up it's likely to be caused by wear on the engine (pistons and bores) or the turbo seals allowing oil into the intake.  You could check the intercooler and see that there isn't a lot of oil in it.  

Are you sure it's the EGR blocked again?  The coil light could be for something else this time.  You need a diagnostic check to be sure. 

I've only cleaned mine once and it was hardly even dirty.  It was at about 100k miles.  I was doing about 50% motorway work and often towing which probably helped.

2004 2.5 174
aldo6 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 19 at 23:16
Thanks for the swift reply.I'm sure the engine wear is contributing to the deposits and yes I have a dpf.I actually took the top off the  EGR solenoid and sprayed some cleaner  on the mechanism to loosen things up and to avoid having to pull everything apart again. It seemed to work , but I'll need to give it a run tomorrow to test things again.Think I'll take the pipe of the turbo and check for play at some point.
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 19 at 14:18
Honest John reckons you should try 
a fuel additive, 
and then run on Shell V-Power.

I suggest you check your turbo
for oil leaks.
Soot and oil in your inlet manifold
is not a nice combination.
 Post Reply Post Reply