The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

advice needed gearbox or clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merl1n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: advice needed gearbox or clutch
    Posted: 14 Sep 19 at 22:14
Hi newbie here with a problem

I have a 2005 t5 19td   with an AXB engine which i bought to do a camper conversion , it was stuck in gear and the starter burnt out when i bought it from buisness

I have since changed the starter and sorted out the gear linkage and also found out the clutch pipe that runs along the bulkhead was rotted through so have since changed the pipe and bled the clutch

The problem i have now is when i drive away in first gear as soon as the clutch is released the van stalls, it will pick away until the clutch is released then stalls

Yet it will pick away in 2nd (i'm on a hill) and goes through all the gears without a problem even reverse

no noise from clutch or flywheel

biting point on peddle is halfway

goes through the gears smooth no crunching

if anyone has had this fault before any advice or pointers would be welcome

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 19 at 22:50
I've never heard of exactly that.  I can't think why first gear only is affected.  The clutch switch is the obvious possibility but that wouldn't normally cause the engine to actually stall on a 2005 (non-Bluemotion).  I'd start there anyway though.  If you have VCDS diagnostics it's easy, otherwise take the switch off and check that it's working (on/off) with a multimeter.  The only other thing I can think of is a chafed loom close to the clutch pedal responding to the general movement.  The loom does run above the pedal boxes, have a look at this.

Welcome by the way.. Smile  

Edited by T5 TDI - 14 Sep 19 at 22:58
2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 19 at 03:27
If it only happens in 1st and not 2nd or any other gear then that is where I'd be looking, especially if it is a slow stall strictly proportional to the movement of the clutch pedal rather than a quick cut out (electronic).

Maybe put both front wheels in the air (assuming FWD, not 4-motion van) and do a bit of experimenting to see what is happening.  The problem might be inside the gearbox, as it sounds like the van had serious problems when you bought it, and they may have burnt out the starter motor trying to move it in 1st.
merl1n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merl1n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 19 at 10:53
Thanks for the replys ,

i will take another look at it today
Timjburrows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 19 at 12:24
might be worth putting it in first,put the clutch down to the floor,and push it backwards,with the engine off just in case there’s something jammed between the gears stopping them from turning.if there is something in there it’s come from inside so will need stripping to be fixed
merl1n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merl1n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 19 at 23:00
fixed

just give you all an update thanks for all the replys , i put the selector in 2nd gear losened off the adjuster cables and readjusted them that worked straight away
Gear selector was a bit tight at first to go into gear but after a drive it became more slack , so van goes into gear with no stalling and gears are smooth
so happay as a pig in sh1t
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 19 at 04:01
Excellent news.  Thumbs Up

I wonder if it was engaging two gears at once when you were trying to select 1st due to the cables being too far out of correct adjustment ?
merl1n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merl1n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 19 at 09:19
You may be right as it wasn't quite seated in first gear so even a few mm out of the gate caused it to stall yet at the same time all othe r gears worked

now i have to try and solve the electric windows both are not working damn
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 19 at 10:11
Do they work if you put the key in the door lock and twist/hold ?
merl1n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merl1n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 19 at 15:41
Tried that
there is no noise click or buzz have checked the loom going through the door and that is fine no breaks
merl1n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merl1n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 19 at 16:47
bit of an update
tried the twist and hold in the unlock position and both windows go down turn it to the lock position and both windows go up .
I was only turning in the lock position so got no movement , i still have no window though as i put key in ignition and try the windows nothing happens.

my key fob battery was changed but don't know if weak battery in the key fob would be a problem as i am getting no red light from the fob

any advice welcome
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 19 at 22:18
Good to hear you fixed the gear selection problem. Thumbs Up   What happened with the odd stalling?  Is that OK too now?

Originally posted by merl1n merl1n wrote:

The problem i have now is when i drive away in first gear as soon as the clutch is released the van stalls, it will pick away until the clutch is released then stalls

Edited by T5 TDI - 16 Sep 19 at 22:22
2004 2.5 174
merl1n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merl1n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 19 at 22:59
Hi
Stalling stopped

I put the van in 2nd gear and adjusted the cables at the gearstick and reset them

Turns out first gear wasn't going all the way in on the selector it was about 1mm out after about 6 adjustments it was cured ,cables and selector were tight but i took it a quick spin went through the gears and everythings working fine ,selector is now a bit slacker and van drives fine no issues

When i bought it the van was stuck in reverse ,clutch pedal was to the floor and starter motor burnt out

so alls good so far
 Post Reply Post Reply